How much end play on a 38R turbo

Jet Fuel

Reaction score
Having trouble with one. its gotten quiter, doesn't spool down like it did when you shut the truck off and boost is low along with higher egt's.

The end play is at .005

any insight would be helpful thanks
Ben

Jet Fuel

Reaction score
Thats the first thing I checked.

I've been told that the 38r has some end play and i've also been told it should have none. Can somebody please tell which is it? Is .005 too much for a 38r?

TARM

Reaction score
The 38r have end play. That goes away under oil pressure. The amount you are claiming from what I have seen and know is fine and normal. As far as I know its the norm on all Garrett BB turbos. My GTX4294r had small amount of play when it was new.

Honestly without a before measurement for comparison at that small amount of end play there is no way to know if its even increased at all.

Honestly, it sounds a lot more like a leak issue. I would be looking again for boost or exhaust gas leaks. Did you use a boost leak detector and put it under a good bit of pressure i.e. what the clamp to the inlet would hold. 10+ psi. Or did you just make a visual check of boots? What about the up pipes?

average

Reaction score
Well just got done ripping my 150k mile stock turbo out and I'll have to take back what I said about my 38r, it moves a bit more laterally side to side than the stocker with 150k. Both move very little IMO though.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Wait till you get some oil in it and then check it.

If a guy were to set the turbo upside down and fill it with oil then tightly plug the ports I bet the non pressurized oil would make a difference as long as it couldn't leak back out while checking the end play.

average

Reaction score
Yeah after I took it for a drive after installation it tightened up a bit, now it seems about even with the stocker I removed, I'm talking around a mm or less.

Charles

Reaction score
The 38R should move a lot axially... Should move more than you should feel comfortable with. At least every one that I've bought did, lol. First one I bought I figured it was toast before it ever went on. But that's just how they are.

They should have very little radial play though.

Jet Fuel

Reaction score
Ok well maybe its ok then.
my boost leak detector is a short hunk of pipe that I connect to the I/C charge tube(unhooked from the turbo) and charged with compressed air. The up-pipes are new and there is no soot on them and sticking my hand down there I can't feel any leaks while its running.

Its been suggested that I might have broken plunger springs. They are II injectors, supposedly its common with II's injectors?? :shrug: (Thats what I've been told,anybody hear of this?)

I don't really feel like tearing down my injectors and checking the springs in them, but if the turbos good, fuel pressure good(fass, w/ reg return) and oil is good, I'm running out of brains on what else to check.

Latest posts

Members online