Props to EVERYONE who does their own installs.

average

Reaction score
Just came in. So I have about 3 hours in removing all my stock turbo and pedestal stuff off my top end. Tomorrow morning the 38r, EBPV-less pedestal, CCV vent and HPX line will be going on. Anyone who said that the bolt/clamp from the up-pipe to the turbo is a PITA hit the nail on the head!!

This is my first diesel truck and so far it's the funnest vehicle I've had so far. I just wanted to thank everyone on this site and a couple other diesel forums that has posted any little tidbit of info on your experiences. :thumbup:

Thought I'd share some pics...

IMAG0348.jpg

38r - Thanks to Jap for a great deal!

IMAG0349.jpg

Good thing I picked up the EBPV delete because mine was leaking some crap.

IMAG0352.jpg

My engines topless!!!!

IMAG0350.jpg

Finished pics tomorrow! Also glad I'm doing the CCV mod, I have a fair amount of oil laying in the boots and pipes, I guess 150k mile worth!

average

Reaction score
Yeah it has a slight leak, I can't feel it with my hands when it's running so up pipes are on my to do list now. I was more surprised with the oil leak than anything since I didn't see any oil on the ground.

KPSquared

Reaction score
You should grab new gaskets at least before you bolt all the crap back in there... they're cheap from Ford and will at least get you by until you can get bellowed ones or another solution... it would be a crime not to change them while you have all that out...

average

Reaction score
Good point, I may make a NAPA run and grab those cheap chevy gaskets that some have used. I'll have to pick up some bolts too, just looking at the bolts on the pipes I bet they'll snap off.

dave186

Reaction score
Dont use the chevy donuts, they dont work worth a crap. They are only about $8 at ford.

average

Reaction score
Well I fiddled with the uppipes for about a half hour and didn't feel like snapping a bolt so I'm just gonna order some new ones, bellowed or DI's not sure which - but I'm sure they must flex a little better than the stock POS pipes man I hate those things.

Got everything else done and buttoned up, once again the V-Band to the rear of the turbo was probably the most PITA of everything. I took er for a drive and the 38r sounds AMAZING, I'm thinking hairdryer from hell describes it pretty good. I'll need to video it sometime. Total today was about 2 hours 45 minutes, it's easier puttin everything back on since I know where everything goes and what not. 38r, HPX oil crossover, CCV installed and EBPV fully deleted now.

Is it normal to see a little haze from the CCV line, I have it ran the whole way back to beside the gas tank and can see some haziness rising from below the bed?

By best tip for anyone that hasn't done anything like this yet - grab a big ol fluffy sleepin bag or a bunch of blankets because you are gonna be layin on your engine like a sofa for a while! I now have a ford coolant cap indentation on my side permanently I think. A couple more tips: Don't try to tighten one thing at a time, I found myself going back and loosening all kinds of stuff to get one thing on. Also get some wobble extensions/joint extensions for your ratchet, I had some so I was good to go. PB Blaster is your friend and he likes to play with every nut and bolt you will touch. If you are by yourself like me, grab a jack for the downpipe - it helps getting it just right since you only have 2 hands and will still be wishing for another 2.

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

No more leaky EBPV

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

Hit about 28 psi on a quick run to town and my EGT's are about 150 degrees cooler in 80 econ. Time to go camping then report back on my towing EGT's.

:fordoval:

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Never seen anybody yank a turbo and the charge air tubes are still in place, lol. Those are usually out of my way for even the simplest of things. For a turbo swap, they would come out one step after the intake ductwork.

You would appreciate the extra space. Next time, yank them first. No need to have something that only takes 1 minute to remove in your way all that time.

average

Reaction score
Never seen anybody yank a turbo and the charge air tubes are still in place, lol. Those are usually out of my way for even the simplest of things. For a turbo swap, they would come out one step after the intake ductwork.

You would appreciate the extra space. Next time, yank them first. No need to have something that only takes 1 minute to remove in your way all that time.

Yeah, if/when it comes back out they will be coming out to get painted/repainted along with the spider.

Nice! I called you yesterday hoping you'd got it! Looks great!

Yeah saw that bud, thanks I wanted to get it in and all buttoned up quick for a camping trip, everything is good with it!

Results after towing my toyhauler were great, I saw a roughly 200 degree drop in my EGT's, in 60 tow I'm not getting any hotter than 1150 going up some good hills. I'm also seeing upwards of 30psi now but am noticing some flutter when the slushbox is shifting gears when I'm on it, I guess some guys call that surge?

Overall turbo kicks ass, I would recommend it to anyone. :rockon:

My phone's video capabilities wouldn't do the sound justice, I'll have to work on getting a decent video camera.

Cody

Reaction score

ive swapped a turbo out before leaving the spider on, a leaving all intercooler piping in just loosening the two clamps and loosining the hose clamp that goes to the turbo on the intake... wasnt too much worse :shrug:

Big Bore

Reaction score
Don't remind me man! I did the donuts on my old 94.5 last year.. I've never broken so many tools, on one bolt! I'm dreading doing the 97...

When I pulled the turbo off my 96 the last time, I ended up buying a bunch of tools, which caused a big delay getting to the pedestal that I had sold to someone and they weren't very happy. I hope to never see another OBS turbo. If I ever end up with another one the first thing I'll do is a SD setup swap.

Latest posts

Members online