Gear Ratio Help

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I was under my truck just now looking around and saw the factory front axle tag. I pulled it the rest of the way off.

After looking at it, I found what I thought to say 4.10 gears. I instantly went to my rear axle and looked and it showed what I thought to say 3L55 which would mean 3.55 gears.

I need to know if I have miss matched gears so I can correct the problem before I will need to use 4wd.

Can someone verify this by the pictures I have put below?

Front Axle Sticker:
IMG_0194.png

Rear Axle Tag:
IMG_0193.png

Tom S

Reaction score
I think you are right via the photos. I would probably jack up the truck and check it by turning and counting.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Put it in 4 wheel drive and just let it creep and see if anything binds. Letting it creep on grass wont hurt anything.

chromehound

Reaction score
Just an idea if you need to change the fluid - my rear gear set had 4.10 stamped right in them and I was lucky enough to have the stamp faceing the cover when I pulled it to change the fluid.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Put it in 4 wheel drive and just let it creep and see if anything binds. Letting it creep on grass wont hurt anything.

I would probably do that first too before jacking it up and counting driveshaft revs vs tire rev just because its easier. If they are different the truck should sit like the parking brake is on otherwise it should creep forward like your in 2wd. If it does bind then I would verify by jacking it up, but you are not gonna hurt it in 4wd at idle.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I will investigate farther today while I wait for the engine to cool down so I can take out the stock fuel pump.

Hopefully someone had to replace an axle bean for whatever reason and didn't take the sticker off.

Members online

No members online now.