QSSB 6-speed What do you think??

PStroked444

Reaction score
Hello, New Guy here:D. I was looking for a turbo for my truck and came across the QSSB and figured I could ask some questions here at this site. I have a late 99 with 160cc Stg1 and a 6 speed attached to it. How well will the QSSB work behind it? Does anyone have a MAP for the turbo?? Just wondering how it would spool with my hand-shaker?? I have ridden in a truck with a 38R in it and I loved the noise for the short time I was in it But on a long haul I think I would go nuts. I liked that the QSSB was sapposed to have a low back pressure all the way around. I guess any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

CJ

Southmike

Reaction score
For an e99 i think the qssb or h2e is the only way to go...
Given the sale on gt 38r if i had. 99.5 i think i would give it some thought. Just price wise

Never seen any complaints out of any qssb owner.

JDub

Reaction score
QSSB will work great with those injectors and that manual trans. It's a great turbo for a towing application, lots of air down low with no surge problems and super low drive pressures. And if you think the 38R whine will get to you on long hauls, you'll like the QSSB, still has a nice turbo whistle to it, but not near as pronounced and hard on the ears as the Garrett.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
QSSB will work great with those injectors and that manual trans. It's a great turbo for a towing application, lots of air down low with no surge problems and super low drive pressures. And if you think the 38R whine will get to you on long hauls, you'll like the QSSB, still has a nice turbo whistle to it, but not near as pronounced and hard on the ears as the Garrett.

:whs: great turbo. tho my experience is with the GQSSB!

PStroked444

Reaction score
I am wanting to be able to tow heavy. Not bragging but my biggest loadall combined weight was a tad over 24K. I never want to do that again LOL But I still pull a 40' flatbed and light poles that weigh around 8K. I need that low end pull for my 6-speed to move it from stops. The hills kill my truck when sifting from 2nd to 3rd. Right now Im surviving off of the stock turbo. The poor thing does well with Jodys tunes but it is still too small. I am also hoping with a QSSB the milage would stay the same. When would the turbo make some usable boost? Would it come on strong down low?? I know these are crystal-ball questions but just trying to find a good turbo for myself.

Jason

Reaction score
24k is getting to be pretty average of what you see people hauling with these trucks. Getting into crewcab duallies with big toy haulers, that's an easy number to hit real quick. I've seen 9k lbs more than what you've hauled with my truck...crossed the scale at 33k, with a load of kill cows on :) wouldn't do that again, truck handled it better than I thought it would but still managed to surge my stock turbo with the ITP ported housing on it!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
For what its worth. I have pulled right around 35,000 pounds combined weight. With a bone stock OBS. BUT it was only for about 140 to 150 miles. AND I pulled it at 70 MPH Until i hit a big hill. Would i do it again?? YES!! would i enjoy it?? NO!!! But now with a couple of upgrades it pulled even better. That is when it does get fun.

But back on track. You should like the QSSB turbo.. I have heard nothing but good about it.

David

PStroked444

Reaction score
Yes it pulled ok till a hill came up. But breaking was horrible. Plus emergency lane changes scary. I had some cars cut me off for an exit ramp. Pucker factor went up fast. With my truck empty I can get surge going up hills. But from what I can see from everyone talking the QSSB sounds like a turbo I would enjoy. I will be using DP-Tuner for tunes. I have had no issues with his tunes. I think he could get me set up for a towing machine, DD.

Southmike

Reaction score
I think you would have a great setup, iirc jody has tuned a few wop trucks with qssb and kssbs

JDub

Reaction score
Jody runs the QSSB on his personal truck and the GQSSB on his excursion, so he's got lots of seat time with them.

PStroked444

Reaction score
Yes thats what actualy what started my looking into the QSSB. Plus all the compliments I keep hearing about the turbo. Also is there a Compressor map for te turbo?? Not that I would be the expert to look at it but It would be nice to see one. Thanks!!

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yes it pulled ok till a hill came up. But breaking was horrible. Plus emergency lane changes scary. I had some cars cut me off for an exit ramp. Pucker factor went up fast. .

I've towed heavy with my OBS and handshaker and the best thing I ever did was put an exhaust brake on it. Newer truck has one but havent gotten into anything really heavy, however the in line BD has extremely fast response. Sorry to continue the derail but since you said you tow heavy a lot I thought it worth a mention.

Southmike

Reaction score
I would think wop could get a map, would be nice to see.
As a guess i would think it would be similar to a garret but be broader at the top end.

ThE only reason to mention the garret is it is a good price for thise who dont have moster sticks, like sound, and can use it as a drop in.