turbos

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Am I the only one that things the prices of these turbos are ridiculous? I understand needing to cover research and development costs, but the parts just don't cost that much. The tow powers were reasonable. Then I heard about the tow x and I was really interested. Thought maybe I found just what I was looking for. Then I see the price. Please tell me what about the tow x turbos justify doubling the price of the tow powers? I just want a little more air to clean up the top end. Maybe the industrial injections set will do what I need. I have no problem spending money where it is needed. I just feel like the prices are far from fair. Just trying to figure out if its just me or if others feel the same way.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I know their prices are high, but they aren't pieces thrown together and bolted on. The housings are modified to their specs and I don't know what else is changed but all this costs $$. If they were a huge company able to make large quantity purchases I would bet the price would decrease. Until then it is either buy what works through them or one of the single options that are coming out. You can go with II but do some searching here about them..... buyer beware.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
doesnt the tow power x have an option for a jb big charger? that can help with price. i will tell you all this, before people assume people can "charge whatever they want" its not really that at all, they need to go price out having a wheel and the housings machined on a vgt... its not cheap for them in the least, not even close.

jdgleason

Reaction score
:whs: these turbos are specially designed vgts. Also most are billet wheel and ball bearing. Not to mention there are flanges for gates in between stages on some. I guess you pay for perfection...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
im certainly willing to pay that to have better than stock response. wish i could ride in jacob's truck just to see how it drives, as the power is certainly there.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Food for thought to have a custom wheel made from Bullseye the first on is 2200 and goes down from there I could only imagine how much precision is....

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Food for thought to have a custom wheel made from Bullseye the first on is 2200 and goes down from there I could only imagine how much precision is....

yeah i know how much tadd pays..it hurts. its just nice to see all you guys opening up the options.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. They are doing something that know one else really is. They deserve to make good money. I just think there are a lot of people out there like me. I am not looking for perfection and every last HP I can get. I have a well built truck that I would like a little more air to clean up the top end and take me over the 600hp mark, Hopefully closer to 650. I don't mind stock like or a little extra lag. Lag doesn't really matter all that much on a boosted launch, truck pulls, or towing. Not saying I want a laggy pile, but these trucks spool way faster than the 6.0 powerstrokes that I have been driving since 02.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think alot of people forget that these arent off the shelf 64/80 turbo combos, were talking billet wheels in the atmospheric turbo, and modded vgts

Tadd takes a vgt, it gets a new exhaust wheel/shaft, which is bigger, so now you must take the ehaust housing and modifiy that to work, same with the vanes in the housing as well, and then the intake side must be modified to run a s300 style compressor housing, which is no easy task since it goes from a vband housing to a bolt on style housing...

I know what mine COST, and it was NOT cheap, just that turbo alone was almost 3k...

Ok sooo thats the high pressure turbo

how do you get exhaust energy to the low pressure turbo? Sounds easy right? Not when you have about 3 inches of space between the turbos, oh and dont forget you need to plumb in a wastegate in that small space... tadd cast an outlet to adapt from the factory exhaust housing to a t-4, with a wastegate inlet already built in.

Ok now for turbo's you need something thats going to fit in the valley, and flow a decent amount of air. Tadd chooses to use precisions, great turbos, pricey, but worth the money.

Here is a link to the turbo thats used... you might understand where some of the cost is starting to acrew.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Stree...Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT8285-CEA/284

Now im going to move on to personal experience

You can rack up 300 bucks in bends for piping, vbands in no time, i spent that and i already had about 5 different vband assemblies on hand, and i have used every bit of that and then some on my build,

Then you have oil lines, which arent cheap, not expensive but mind you all of this adds up, plus you have to do something different for the oil drain on the low pressure turbo, you have to tie into the factory oil supply for the turbos, then you have air filter piping, intercooler piping, pipe between turbos, wastegate piping ect.... it all adds up to serious money. i dont even want to know what i got into my current set up, and i reused a ton of bends and piping to make it happen...

Now look at twin turbo dodge set ups, your 3500 bucks to use your STOCK turbo

your an easy 6k for a complete 64/80 kit

Duramax's are even more $

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. They are doing something that know one else really is. They deserve to make good money. I just think there are a lot of people out there like me. I am not looking for perfection and every last HP I can get. I have a well built truck that I would like a little more air to clean up the top end and take me over the 600hp mark, Hopefully closer to 650. I don't mind stock like or a little extra lag. Lag doesn't really matter all that much on a boosted launch, truck pulls, or towing. Not saying I want a laggy pile, but these trucks spool way faster than the 6.0 powerstrokes that I have been driving since 02.

you might be interested in drop in batmowheels, unfortunatly you cant have your cake and eat it too just yet.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

your best bet on a budget like that is MPD or WOP then. both of them have proven to make the power , its just driveability i cant vouch for. both have done a lot of work to get it right. how much do these single kits cost turn key ?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
So far everyone I hear talking about the single kits is driving in tow haul to keep the smoke and lag down. That doesn't interest me. I don't have a budget in mind. Money is not the issue. I just don't like to feel like I am throwing it out the window. I have got a lot of stuff from Elite. I have liked everything I have got from them including the powermax turbo on my 6.0. It just seems like if I can get a complete brand new turbo for $1,200. There should be other options out there for the 6.4. The massive compounds on my C-15 CAT are only 4k.

I guess the other thing is the tow powers maybe more turbo than I think they are. I guess I just was not expecting the tow x set up to be double the price of the tow powers.

I am done with my towing season for the most part. Going to do the trans soon. Just trying to figure out the plan for this winter. Airdog and turbos were what I was thinking.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i hate to even say it again but...

If you dont like the price... build it... if you can't build it, save money till you can afford it...

eric.davis

Reaction score
I would say its around 3500 for both mike. I think thats what craig mentioned when i was on the phone last with him and I think jacob posted around that price as well

Dzchey21

Reaction score
and your c-15 has cheaper chargers because each wheel is cast, and there are way more c15s out there with compounds then 6.4s with aftermarket turbos. And your not buying piping, oil drains ect. And im willing to bet that that 4000 bucks, is for reman turbo's

Shoot me a serial number, and ill look the prices up tomorrow...