Snow plow rebuild

genuineford

Reaction score
Since I sold my other truck and got rid of the snow plow I have been looking for a replacement for it. I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. I was able to trade a bumper I built for my super duty for an old Western cable style snow plow. It actually has a Meyers blade for it that was modified to fit the Western mount. The moldboard was pretty rusted so I cut that off and it is at the fab shop right now getting a new one rolled. I have been working on the mount most recently. The mount was on an older F150 last and wouldn't just bolt on to the front of my F350. I plan on putting a RSK on my truck at some point so I have been designing the mount so that it will not interfere with that when I put it on. Once I have all the fabrication done I will be sand blasting the whole thing and painting it.

When I brought it home.

The blade

The frame after cutting the moldboard off.

The A frame that is going to be partially rebuilt.

The plow frame mocked up on the front of the truck.

This is how the plow frame mated up to the truck frame when I started out.

Last edited:

genuineford

Reaction score
So I wanted to make this so it would be easily removable. I would just like to be able to take it off in a half an hour or so in the spring. I don't want to have to drive around with the plow mount on all summer long. I was trying to figure out how I was going to do this so it would not interfere with the RSK and from the looks of it as long as it doesn't go on the outside of the frame. I believe I have the bolt hole in the correct location so it will mate up with the RSK. I had some C channel laying around and it just happened to be the perfect size to slide on the inside of the frame. I just had to cut a small strip off of it and round off the corners of it. This will work good because it locks it in place very well. I am then going to weld a nut on the inside of the hole so I do not have to worry about holding it when trying to take it on and off.

C channel.

Bolt installed

Inside frame

Cut to length

Mock up.

Tacked in place

One of my finished welds

Set in place with the old bumper off my wrecked 83 F250

More to come.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
How much stress will the top mount see? Hope it don't bend down any. Reenforce?

genuineford

Reaction score
There is another piece that goes from the bottom to the frame farther back. I don't have it done yet so there are no pictures.

genuineford

Reaction score
You can actually see it sticking up in the air from the mount in this picture. I am in the process of extending it to reach the width of the frame and redoing the angle iron that goes down to the mount.

genuineford

Reaction score
I had more time to work on the plow today. I got the mount for the truck pretty much finished up. I need to do some clean up work on the mount yet but I am happy with the way it turned out.

This is the brace that mount back farther on the frame. It originally had brackets that bolted on the end and went up to the side of the frame. This was not going to work the way the frame was shaped so I welded on the extensions so it could bolt to the bottom of the frame. The angle iron was already cut and ran at a different angle so I cut them off and made new ones.

I still think I am going to make a bushing for the bottom mount of the pump. Although I may be able to buy that part reasonably.

genuineford

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. It is taking a bit longer than I expected to get everything done but I am liking the way it is turning out.

genuineford

Reaction score
Well I had a little bit of time to work on it again today. It will be the last time for a week or so. I made some new bushings for it out of some shaft material I had laying around. I got the old ones cut off a while ago and the new ones welded on today. I got a little happy with the torch so I had to do a little fill in work but all is good.