2006 Harley Davidson 5r110 to a ZF6 swap

Reaction score
So I've been contemplating this for some time now. I'm currently running a Stage 3 Darkhorse Diesel built trans and am wanting to do a ZF6 swap. Anyone know how hard it would be to do and at what price? I'll probably sell my built 5r so that would cover most of the expense.

Coastal

Reaction score
Not quite the same, but I swapped a manual tranny to my dt360 swap, which was an auto. I bought a clutch pedal assembly from a wrecker... I read too many bad things about the oem master/slave setup so I opted to adapt a wilwood master cylinder which was super easy. The studs and holes are all in the body for the factory pedal assembly to bolt up. As far as the ZF stuff I can't help but it would probably be nice to get a junk motor with tranny attached so you get everything. ;)

Reaction score
Agreed. In your opinion what are the things that make you not like them? Other than the obvious constant gear changing, which doesn't bother me. Actually my truck is the first automatic I've ever owned.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
they don't handle power as well as the 5R

not as quick, obviously. I see you've got some pretty healthy mods. I will say that a manual is nice because you can put it exactly where you want it, but man, I'd sooner spend the time/money on having Matt live-tune the truck.

One thing that is critical to me with tunes on these trucks is to lock out OD in tow/haul mode. Ford gives you no way to manually select 4th gear. If you have him lock out OD in T/H, this allows you to touch a button and be one gear lower. Ford will let you manually select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but not 4th! Makes a HUGE difference to be able to select that gear and hold it.

Might be worth an email for a tune revision

OBS F350

Reaction score
If you enjoy picking on people stop light to stop light you can kiss that ability good bye. I've driven tuned zf6 trucks with good clutches and it was pathetic how slow it was due to the gear changing. I am with you on loving manuals, but that's why my car is manual so I can get my fix driving that. You will be going so backwards from having a built 5r to a zf6 it's not even funny.

I loved my OBS 7.3 with a zf5, it was slow regardless but was fun to drive because of the manual, and it was a towing machine. But a truck that should make 600+hp it would have been stupid.

Ultimately it's your decision but I would honestly never do it definitely if you already have a built trans.

Reaction score
All great points. I don't run my truck ever and I plan on towing more which is why I'm dropping down to 175's. I just simply enjoy a manual trans and being able to be in whatever gear I want on command. Plus, call me crazy, I think a 6.0 sounds better to me with a stick.