Can the AC clutch be rebuilt?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Or do you have to buy a new compressor? I've got to dick with mine some this afternoon but the electrical connection seems to be loose somewhere and the clutch is squeaking...

Never ending AC issues...:lame:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Seem to have a problem at the connection at the AC clutch. I've just replaced the wire harness and its still doing it, so I am thinking there is something on the AC pump right inside that connector. If I pull it a little it closes and starts working, but the first fuging bump and its off again.

Is the clutch replaceable? or do you have to do the whole AC pump and then buy 300 bucks worth of charge?

nitrousjunkie347

Reaction score
The clutch can be replaced. I did mine a few weeks ago, it's really simple. It was about $100 at o'reillys. Part of the replacement clutch is a new electro-magnet. So if the plug on the old clutch is messing up, it will get replaced.

ford_trck

Reaction score
If you pull the clutch off there should be a shim in it. I have don't this on many SD and OBS trucks where the clutch wasn't grabbing enough anymore. Pull the clutch off and there is an A/C clutch puller kit you can buy. Anyways pull the clutch off and pull the shim out and you can continue to use your equipment with essentially just maintaining your clearances on the compressor. If I remember right the clearance should be between .010-.015 inches.

Last edited:

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Has the spacer behind the clutch already been taken out? Eventually the clutch gets wore out a little an taking out the spacer will give you back a lil room in-between the clutch an compressor.

old96stroker

Reaction score
My sd did this a couple years ago and I took it to a reputable shop I trust and they adjusted the "air gap" on the clutch if I remember the terminology right, my father owns the truck now and has had no further problems, cost me about a hundred bucks.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I adjusted the air gap a few months ago...

Messed with it for a few hours tonight and it was the high pressure switch. Seemed to be the clutch switch because every time I moved it it would work, well after dicking with it for hours, cleaning it and such I bumped the High pressure switch and it clicked.

It was melted a bit inside. Changed it, cleaned up the NEW DAMN HARNESS and it seems to be working now.

Tomorrow will be the test, the roads you all have out here SUCK! I am going to need the whole front end rebuilt just from the 18-20 miles I drive on I-25 here a day. Colorado Springs, you get my vote for the most F-ed up stretch of interstate I have ever driven on...

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be the test, the roads you all have out here SUCK! I am going to need the whole front end rebuilt just from the 18-20 miles I drive on I-25 here a day. Colorado Springs, you get my vote for the most F-ed up stretch of interstate I have ever driven on...

worse than I-70 between Indy and Terra Haute?
That's a pretty tall order, there.

Members online

No members online now.