Bad batteries?

slowngreen

Reaction score
hey guys, over the last month or so, Ive had really slow turn overs. There was one day that it would just click, so I cleaned and tightened all my connections, which made it start but still slow. Several times over the month though its done that, just clicks, so I try to twist the cables and finally it turns over and starts...but not now.
Ive had the charger on it all day and it still just clicks. My radio will only stay on for a second too then cuts off.
I dont see a date on the batteries to know how old they are. Their clean and have water though just for an fyi.
I am really strapped at the moment and live real far from town so I am trying to find out if thats what it is before I go make a purchase...

ytee

Reaction score
I would be pretty sure that your batteries are your problem. Charge them overnight and most places will put a load test on the batteries for free, that will tell you for sure.

Chris

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
It's just as likely it's the starter itself as the batteries. You need to test the voltage when cranking. Check that and post back.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
:whs: more than likely your starter is bad and not your batteries. Ive done it the hard way thinking it was my batteries then come to find out it was the starter. Have the starter and batteries checked before replacing one or the other.

slowngreen

Reaction score
Would my radio cut off if it was the starter? My voltage gauge stays around 8 with the key on even with the charger on...

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
Your radio shouldn't be on while cranking.

8 is too low. I question your gauge if it's at 8 with the charger on it. Charging voltage should be 13-14. Charged battery with no draw should be 12.5 or so, and while cranking probably 11-11.5.

If 8 is the real number you need new batteries.

stackedstroker

Reaction score
To me it sound like a bad connection, the way its shutting everything off. Check ALL your connections on the batteries, stater, relay, and frame grounds. If it was starter or batteries it would pull every thing down, not shut it off.

chromehound

Reaction score
My folks '99 Jeep does the same thing from time to time. It takes forever to jump it, even off my diesel but once it's up and running it's fine for howeverlong it feels like it. Theirs has something to do with the electric fan but I've read about aftermrket radios and such causing it in Jeeps so it may be worth a look at that and the lights, etc. for a major draw. Best of luck.

slowngreen

Reaction score
I bought new batteries on the 31st and its been fine since then so I guess thats what it was...lol. Costco had them for $89 with the old battery return.

Latest posts

Members online