Air to A/C cooler?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone ever put some thought into this?

I have always wanted to try it since i saw it on a lightning years ago, i know they were using it to cool charge temps because of space being an issue with a roots style charger.

But i was wondering if we could adapt it somehow, and where would be the best place to put it. Before the first turbo? Between stages? Final charge air cooling?

discuss

09stroker

Reaction score
How big would the cooler have to be to cool the amount of air our trucks use? I imagine a sc lightning uses less but not positive.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
another valid point, that i dont know, i would imagine i shouldnt have to be any bigger than an air to water cooler

09stroker

Reaction score
I wonder if one could make an intercooler similar to the way they make custom sized a/w intercoolers but using a core for an a/c???

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Now this is from school and what I remember.
You will have to figure out your CFM.
Size the box around that.
If you undersize the box, build heat.
Oversize it most likely wont help too much.
Deminishing returns. You can never get to 100% efficient cooler. In theory you can but dont listen to the college brats that think they know everything.
All you would need is an evaporator from an AC. Hell you could use your stock one and just delete the AC in the cab.
What I would do.
If you wanted to make pipes, I would put one in the front of the bed.
Make it look like a tool box and just have it split, half the water tank and half the cooler.
Some of my buddies run this type on drag cars.
But FYI, they go through 20# of ice in one run.
Reason is that you can get to almost the same temp at the ac evaporator. What does our AC blow 40 degrees. Can hit that with just water and some ice. Plus the water will remove more heat that air will.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
good points, the bad part about water to air is all the space it takes up in the bed and plumbing, i guess ill stick to what i have right now, im sure its fine, i thought it would be cool to intercool between stages and then air to water final, but not now.

09stroker

Reaction score
Have you looked at the a/w intercooler off of a 6.7?
They are pretty small and the secondary coolant pump is a self contained unit that is also pretty small.

Latest posts

Members online