popping in the left firewall

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Last couple of years, every time I get the truck in any kind of flex I hear a popping sound on the left side. Up really high, doesn't sound like it's coming from the frame rail / spring hangers / driveshaft. Sounds like it's right behind the dash, in the hood hinge / master cylinder area.

I have checked all suspension components (spring hanger bushings are brand new urethane) and nothing is broke, bent, wearing funny, out of line, etc. Sounds like a body related issue anyway, up as high as it is.

On the first site that got bought out by Autoguide there was a post one time about it, I lost my login info when Jason sold that site and can't find it.

Thoughts?

1997 F250 Super Cab 4x4

cbuttre835

Reaction score
steering wheel itself (well the bearings) and tilt mechanism are tight. axle components are mostly new too (tie rod ends anyway).

smokedout250

Reaction score
Have you checked the shackle bushing inside the frame? I know you said you checked all the components... but that's over looked all the time mine makes a pop and that's what it is

ytee

Reaction score
Check the track bar bushings,shock bushings,and sway bar bushings. The shock bushings make a very strange hard to track sound.

Chris

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
X2 on what denver said. These trucks are famous.for loosening the fender bolts and they can make ot aound like something is really wrong!

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Did not check the fender bolts and door hinges..... Never thought about that.

All the frame / susp stuff is new - every bushing - and shocks are new....

Tom S

Reaction score
I was going to say the slip joint on the steering shaft.

samoht517

Reaction score
My truck does it to and its the crappy spacers they used when hanging the fenders. Pull it out ans shim it with a metal spacer loctite the bolt and should be good. Check cab bushings to if they're worn it will help the problem along

Aljay

Reaction score
There is a TSB on a frame rivet on the drivers side right behind the engine cross member. I live with the noise till I can grind the rivet out and put a bolt back in. I wish I still had access to the TSB's as it tells you what to do.

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Patrick Feeley? Time for another "where are all the old posters" thread. Talk about a blast from the past.... :)

Thanks for the link. Will peruse all these ideas when the rain lets up....

Reaction score
Yep! Still around, just driving a 97 SC 4x4 instead of the old trusty 94. I forage around here, PSN, TDS, & SDD.com. That keeps me busy enough! Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online