Driving everyday vs drive on wk ends

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
What is better for them I was told by a ford tech that these trucks like tO be driven and don't be easy on it. He meant make it go down the road not run the hell out of it.

derrick36

Reaction score
What is better for them I was told by a ford tech that these trucks like tO be driven and don't be easy on it. He meant make it go down the road not run the hell out of it.

I know zero about diesels seeing how this is my first one, but it seems like it would be hard for ANY manufacturer to advertise/sell a vehicle that was only meant to be driven on the weekends. Especially a truck. F-series trucks are pretty important to Ford. I couldn't see them marketing a truck that couldn't handle the grind of the day-to-day use.

Maybe an exotic brand but even that is doubtful.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

Edit: I DD mine with no issues.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I know there not meant to only drive on wk ends it's just that I was told it's hard on them sitting around alot having alot of emissions like the egr. I'm just scared of causing problems not driving it much.

pog

Reaction score
well depends. i rather drive my truck on weekends if its for hwy miles vs weekday city/traffic miles. as long as its reaching optimum temps your fine. and its a known fact diesels love hwy cruising miles. so drive it to how it suits you best. mine is sitting in my garage right now getting zero miles for the next month or so. but when i do i drive it its driven daily on the hwy about 40 miles and in town about 10-15 miles.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Mines in the garage now to I drive my Taurus most of the time but they do like highway miles I guess when you look at semis.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It will depend on how it is driven.
If it is a grocery getter, that is the hardest thing on engines, more so a diesel, they never get up to operating temp.
If it is getting up to temp everyday that is fine.
Mine is a tow pig mainly with a few trips to work in a month.
My work is almost 40 miles away so it does get up in temp.

Petro

Reaction score
They like to be driven, Ill give an example. A friend of mine has a 97 F250 7.3 auto, has 350,000 miles +, Dailey drives it and has never had a problem with the engine or transmission. Now my Fathers truck is a 97 F250 7.3 auto, has 135,000 miles and never gets driven. He babies it and only drives it when he needs to pull something or when the 2 wheel drive ranger cant get around because of snow or w.e. Dads Truck is basically falling apart. The truck has a miss and has many small problems and it was babied it whole life, he bought it brand new off the lot. Now i know there are alot of variable and this isnt that great of an example but i can name about 4 other instances where the same thing has happened. It just seems to me that the more you drive it the better they run unless you totally just beat the living piss out of it. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
The worst thing you can do to a diesel is let it sit. The worse thing you can do to diesel FUEL too is let is sit

pog

Reaction score
woodboy is right about fuel. i have a full tank plus diesel additive.

Latest posts

Members online