Water in fuel

6.0Dually

Reaction score
My water in fuel light came on yesterday morning about 1 mile away from my house. So immediately I turn around park it and drain the fuel water separator. It drained about 12 fl oz of water mixed with diesel, it had half a tank of diesel. This morning the same thing happened after driving it for around 2 miles so I repeat the procedure once again and it drained the same amount again. What should I do know drain the whole tank? Any advise would be helpful

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
How the **** did you get gallons of water in your tank? Drain that **** out

6.0Dually

Reaction score
I don't know how it happened I fueled up at the same place as always, what's the easiest way to drain the fuel tank?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Where did you get diesel at? Murphys here ALWAYS throws my water light. I would think the easiest way would be to stab the tank with a screwdriver. I would probably unhook the fuel line from the pump and let the pump do its thing. But thats just me LOL

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Did you fuel up at your usual station? Sounds like u got bad fuel

cfdeng7

Reaction score
idk why tapatalk sent like 20 min late but somehow u got water in the tank. Piss off any ex gf's latelyy? Haha I would drop the tank and drain it

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Really does sound like someone put a hose in that bitch

6.0Dually

Reaction score
Id hate to think it was one of my neighbors, but does seem like too much water to be bad fuel. I've been fueling there for years. I guess ill drop the tank tomorrow.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Id hate to think it was one of my neighbors, but does seem like too much water to be bad fuel. I've been fueling there for years. I guess ill drop the tank tomorrow.

It is possible they got a bad batch of fuel but that seems like a lot of water to be from the fuel. I've never gotten more then a few drops out my fuel/water seperator even after a few thousand of miles. I've been thinking about somehow making a latch system for my fuel door we had 200 gallons stolen out of one of the tractors at work the other day. My buddy had someone pump like half a tank out of his excavator recently too. Sorry for the derail but I would absolutely drain the tank and inspect what comes out. If there is a ton of water like it seems I would be suspicous of someone dumping water onn the tank.

davey99ps

Reaction score
I would drain your tank and refill it with good fuel. Then start the truck and let it run for awhile. Chances are, if you caught it soon enough an fix the problem, there might not be any damage. I would invest in a locking gas cap also, the chances of getting more than 24oz of water in 1 tank of fuel is highly unlikely.

bismic

Reaction score
You are using OEM fuel filters aren't you?

Ford updated the primary fuel filter to keep water from bypassing that filter when you had a LOT of water in the fuel (extra o-ring seal).

Chances are you did not hurt anything if you drained it quickly after seeing the light. The thing is that the HFCM can only hold a few ounces of water before the pressure drop across the white waterproof media begins to build. Excessive water CAN result in significantly lower fuel pressure to the injectors - which can cause them to fail.

As the others have said - If it truly is as much water as you are describing, get it out of there.

6.0Dually

Reaction score
I didn't have time to drain it today. Is there any chance of air
getting in the fuel lines while the tank is dropped?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Air will get in the lines. Prime the system, like you do when you change the filters.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Prime by turning the key on 6 times for 30 seconds each....

Latest posts

Members online