Is my IDM going out?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Truck is a 2000 with stock fuel system, 6637 style intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, beans 160/100 injectors and beans tunes. The tunes are for a different PCM code but they are working exactly the same as they pcm they were tuned for. Now I have noticed some rough ideling from tiime to time so I decided to do a contribution test. Fired the truck up and let the oil warm up, tested 2 or 3 times with no problems. Decide to run one more just because, I get cyl 7 fault. Run it again and its gone and passed fine. Ran it again and got cyl 7 again.next test got 7 and 3. Next two tests got just 7. Then the last three tests I ran all came up with 3, 4, and 7. I ran a buzz tests and got code for both banks ( 1 and 2), but it buzzed all 8 injectors and they sounded ok. Is it possible that as the truck itself is heating up, the IDM is starting to go out as it heats up with the truck?

BBottoms

Reaction score
Subscribing. I have a similar issue and mine is not the IDM, still haven't figured it out though. Truck runs fine other than idle.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think the most obvious way to test the idea would be to swap IDMs with a known good one or test your IDM in another truck

F350-6

Reaction score
Instead of doing a CCT, why don't you watch the perdel readings? That will give you a better idea of what's going on. Also try switching tunes while watching the numbers to see if it changes any of the cylinders.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
I think the most obvious way to test the idea would be to swap IDMs with a known good one or test your IDM in another truck

Thanks Tom, thats what I will do. Just wanted to see if anyone else had anything like this or any other idea's too.

Instead of doing a CCT, why don't you watch the perdel readings? That will give you a better idea of what's going on. Also try switching tunes while watching the numbers to see if it changes any of the cylinders.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, what are perdel readings?

You get it fixed?

Not yet...

Alex why don't you switch IDMs with the red truck and see what happens.

Thats the plan Tony. I was going to last weekend but didnt get time. Hopefully this weekend, I just hope it cools down. Been close to 100* here all week.

F350-6

Reaction score
Is that something that AE can read? If so is that what it is listed as?

Change in Rotational Velocity, or something like that. AE will have a listing for each cylinder on the live data tab so you can watch all 8 at once. I usually stick EOT in the last slot for comparison purposes. EOT will need to reach at least 160 or 170 deg before the numbers start to read.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not being a smartass here. But if the injectors are basically the only thing that has changed, why would you look at the IDM?

Did it run right before the injector swap?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Its not the UVCH, I swapped that before and it didnt change. Still havent got to it. Chit has been crazy for me lately. But, I finally sold my car today though so that was one of the big things off my plate. Hopefully I will be able to swap the IDM out Thursday and test it.

And Jap, It actually felt like it had a small miss before the injector swap.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Its not the UVCH, I swapped that before and it didnt change. Still havent got to it. Chit has been crazy for me lately. But, I finally sold my car today though so that was one of the big things off my plate. Hopefully I will be able to swap the IDM out Thursday and test it.

And Jap, It actually felt like it had a small miss before the injector swap.

Stop being a whiney biatch and swap your idm out with the one in the red truck. Then you'll know for sure... :D

RedSmokey

Reaction score
LOL I am I am... My friend has an extra IDM I just havent got to it. I should on Thursday. The truck is sitting over at his house till I get to it.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
So I think I found part of my problem. Had a few minutes to tinker yesterday, pulled the chip out and let the truck with stock programming on the single shots, actually seemed to run better at idle. Sounds a little funny but no romping at startup, idle is a little higher but stays steady instead of romping a little after a stab at the throttle. Didnt have much time last night to mess with it. Going to try and swap the IDM out and run buzz, cyl contribution, and check rotational velocity today if I can, otherwise I should have time tomorrow.

BBottoms

Reaction score
Mine does the same as well. Much better idle without the chip. Haven't had time to check with Beans about this lately, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.