door Lock keys

7.3Diesel

Reaction score
WELL! I went to a football game last night with the ford, and i locked it. i had the ignition keys, but they wouldnt unlock the truck! do i need to take the VIN number to a dealership and have a DOOR key made???

thanks!!!!!

MossBack

Reaction score
If u have a split rear window its ez to pop with a screwdriver and get in and take truck to locksmith for new keys. I've done it b4 my wife locked my keys in as her xploder has the key pad she is used to it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Tom S

Reaction score
The door and ignition are normally keyed alike. I bet your ignition was replaced before.

AZStang

Reaction score
The door and ignition are normally keyed alike. I bet your ignition was replaced before.

I don't think so. I think the ignition only uses the front half of the key and the doors use the back half or vise versa. This allows you to replace the ignition lock cylinder without having to replace the door locks. The dealership takes the new ignition key that comes with the new lock cylinder and adds the grooves for the existing door locks to it.

I'm betting someone replaced the ignition without having the existing door groves added. Thus making the vehicle two key dependant. Without a functioning door key, I think you'll have to replace the door lock cylinders. The dealership is probably your best bet for help on this one.

Shawn

Reaction score
FWIW, here's a part number that I saved frpm long ago (never verified the accuracy however):

Lock Set, Door and Ignition
(Ford) F4TZ-1522050-B

May be an alternative for you. Cheers!

Tom S

Reaction score
I don't think so. I think the ignition only uses the front half of the key and the doors use the back half or vise versa. This allows you to replace the ignition lock cylinder without having to replace the door locks. The dealership takes the new ignition key that comes with the new lock cylinder and adds the grooves for the existing door locks to it.

I'm betting someone replaced the ignition without having the existing door groves added. Thus making the vehicle two key dependant. Without a functioning door key, I think you'll have to replace the door lock cylinders. The dealership is probably your best bet for help on this one.

Shawn

You might be right on that I wonder where one could find out for sure.

AZStang

Reaction score
You might be right on that I wonder where one could find out for sure.

I'm pretty sure that I had it done years ago on either my 96 F150 or 95 Mustang. A call to the dealership would verify though.

Shawn

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
im pretty sure you can get a kit from your parts store succh as autozone thats a door kit that comes with two tumblers and a key for your door locks Part Number: DL74360

Last edited:

superduty4x4

Reaction score
My 96 drivers side lock was fine, but the passenger side was a real pain. Might just be a stiff lock...
I learned many years ago to always carry a spare key in my wallet. I don't have one for my current truck and I've had to break into my own truck twice. If you have power locks its pretty simple.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
My 96 drivers side lock was fine, but the passenger side was a real pain. Might just be a stiff lock...
I learned many years ago to always carry a spare key in my wallet. I don't have one for my current truck and I've had to break into my own truck twice. If you have power locks its pretty simple.

Real pain you mean hard to turn via key in outside? Cuz mine did also just on the passenger side. Took the lock out(pretty easy) cleaned, inspected, and lubed and it works great now.

I also always carry a spare in my wallet. Cuz I always have my wallet. It's fun to play pranks on my friends. Get them to do something in your truck for you. Get the manual door lock pushed down and have them shut the door. Then be like dude WTF! Haha just kiddin I got a spare. Lol pretty funny if it works.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score

Shawn

Fail, the new ignition comes with a precut key, no it will not open the door.... i had mine done on my 93 8 months ago..... i now have 2 square keys and one round one

AZStang

Reaction score
Fail, the new ignition comes with a precut key, no it will not open the door.... i had mine done on my 93 8 months ago..... i now have 2 square keys and one round one

If you buy the new ignition lock cylinder from the Ford dealer, it will come with keys that are only cut half way down their length. The parts guy will then take your existing key and add the notches, to the blank part of your new ignition keys, that are required to unlock your existing door lock cylinders.

Looking at the repair history, I show both my 95 Mustang and 96 F150 had their ignition lock cylinders replaced and I only have (or had in the case of the F150 since I no longer own it) one key for both the doors and ignition on each vehicle. And I have never replaced a door lock cylinder. The only caveat I guess is that this took place in 2001 and 2002, so things may have changed since then as these trucks have gotten older. I've also gotten older since then which is why I'm struggling to remember it!

Shawn

Members online

No members online now.