7.3 vs 6.0 in General and Performance

boostemup73

Reaction score
So the 7.3 and the 6.0.. just in general, in general with maybe a few mods and performance including more than exhaust and a small chip. Which truck would you choose in the long run for power, torque, speed and longivity

thuglike

Reaction score
I think I can speak for about 90% of us on here and say 7.3.

The reasons are some of the criteria you listed : long run and longivity.

The 6l has the advantage of higher rated hp/trq out of the showroom and those 4 valves don't hurt either but they puke quicker than a drunk at Octoberfest.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Money not being an issue, I am split 50-50 for a street truck and that is coming from a guy that is a 7.3 die hard. Each has it's weakness that money can overcome. Done right either can be a Lott of fun:thumbsup:

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
Money not being an issue, I am split 50-50 for a street truck and that is coming from a guy that is a 7.3 die hard. Each has it's weakness that money can overcome. Done right either can be a Lott of fun:thumbsup:
Nice edit:poke:

Honestly though when you start getting into the built bottem end of either engine I would hope you aren't hurting for cash or you don't have your priorities straight. Doesn't Brian Jelich and Shawn Ellerton(spelling?) make close to the same amount of power. I'm not sure how streetable either one are but I would take either one:D. Everyone knows the 7.3 is reliable from the get go and the 6.0 with a little money thrown at it can be made just as reliable IMO. It seems like the only bad ones you here about are here on the forums but what about the 5 million others on the road? Plus the 05 and up has a nicer ride or so I have heard and better looking front end.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
"Lott of fun".............boy oh boy..talk about cheap pops. :poke:;)

Hey gotta keep up with technology:toast:
Some engineers with Ford and Navistar thought it would be nice of them to keep me in business for being so loyal that they made the 6.0:pimp:

all kidding aside the more 6.0's I build the more I like them, even worse the more 6.4's I do a delete kit on the more I hate them for being so easy to get power from:doh:

thuglike

Reaction score
Hey gotta keep up with technology:toast:
Some engineers with Ford and Navistar thought it would be nice of them to keep me in business for being so loyal that they made the 6.0:pimp:

all kidding aside the more 6.0's I build the more I like them, even worse the more 6.4's I do a delete kit on the more I hate them for being so easy to get power from:doh:

We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!

skew12

Reaction score
7.3. if i were to be rid of it i wouldnt buy a 6.0. the only reason i could see myself leaving my 7.3 was for a upgrade. if i was gonna upgrade i may as well get a 6.4

Exactly. I wouldn't leave my 7.3 just to have to halfway build a 6.0. Especially with the ability to do an 05 conversion.

It's either upgrade to a 6.4 or 6.7, or nothing at all. I just wouldn't be happy enough with a 6.0, unless it was a decked out Harley edition with 20k on it.

No offense to the 6.0 guys, but there's jut not enough of a difference to me. Granted, I don't know ****.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i love my 6.0, been the best truck i have ever owned, at 155k miles it doesn't leak or burn anything! And it is pretty quick and fun but it does need more. I have done very little to it in the means of repairing, mostly mods

TrailerHauler

Reaction score

Bingo, granted there are some 6.0s that make it quite a ways without any issues in stock form. But there's just as many if not more that don't make it very far without problems. Its a hit and miss in my opinion. I just can't really justify the cost (between 2-4k depending on variables) to make a 6.0 reliable, which would have to be done with my luck :doh:. I will say the 6.0s do have a nice little trans behind them though, and I would get one to toy with but nothing else (see bold above).

If I were truck shopping right now I would be 7.3 shopping but thats just me.
This will be a never ending back and forth "which ones better" battle though.

Silverback

Reaction score
It all depends on how deep your pockets are really. A 7.3 will be far more reliable "in general" but make much less power. While a 6.0 will be far more unreliable "in general" but make far more power. 7.3s are a relatively old truck while 6.0s are a little newer....In all honesty the fact that you are asking this question tells me you should get a 7.3 lol

Atsah

Reaction score
The problem with the 7.3 is, it's at least 8 years old and the majority are older than that.. I had an 02 and it was good truck, my 2 stock 6.0's have also been good trucks.. 6.4's use to much fuel for me and 6.7's sound like a gas motor with something not quite right with it along with the fact they cost more than I paid for my house.. The fun of owning a diesel truck is dwindling.. I think a 6.2 is next on my list..

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah Im not down for paying 70k for a loaded up 6.7. I wouldnt buy an xlt after having a lariat since 2001.

I think the 6.0l is a nice truck. If you buy one with 200k plus the odds of having out of pocket expenses is high on either, imo. Because lets face it, most people do NOT take care of their sh@t. Whether they think they do or not.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I am kinda on both sides...I love my 02, but when I came across my 07 I had to have it...it is the exact 'dream truck' for me. Even though it is an xlt not a lariat, I still love it...I would say each has their pros and cons but each has their place. I like both of mine but if I had to choose in stock form I would go 6.0 hands down

Latest posts

Members online