Aftermarket fuel tank options

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Anybody running a non-oem fuel tank?

What kind? Pros? Cons?

I like the idea of a 33 gallon rear (Bronco tank) but you lose the spare, right?

Don't know how fond I'd be of swapping senders either....

Y'all's thoughts?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Your kind stuck with the stock tanks if you don't want to do a big rear. I just run my stock front & will eventually add in a transfer tank into the bed for added capacity.

Short Bus

Reaction score
i just added a transfer flow under my tool box. Couldnt find an aftermarket one that was the right size so i had a local fab shop make one. Holds 60+ gallons and is very handy to have the extra fuel when your towing or up in hte mountains.

Mr. Neutron

Reaction score
I've got the 33 gallon Bronco tank (from Bronco Graveyard) on my truck. Like it really well. It greatly simplified my fuel system re-plumb.

I fabbed a bracket kinda deal to hold my spare in the truck bed. The old spare was a miserable thing to get out from under the truck once with a flat rear tire, anyway. Got a flat one year while elk hunting. The dirt road was deeply rutted, had some snow on it, & made it hard to jack up enough to get the spare tire out. Much easier to get out now.

I haven't missed the fuel capacity I had with stock tanks. My old front or rear tank selector valve got plugged up with a metric ton of rust after a fill up once, which ruined the selector valve. It was cheaper to get a new plastic 33 gal. tank than a new selector valve...... Couldn't find a used one at the time.....

Jimmie

Countryboy07

Reaction score
I'm planning on running the bronco 33 gallon rear tank on my conversion with a sump and NO selector valve! Should make things a lot easier to plumb since I will be running -6 lines and I don't have to go through the tiny selector valve to get the fuel to my P-pump:)

cbuttre835

Reaction score
I've got the 33 gallon Bronco tank (from Bronco Graveyard) on my truck. Like it really well. It greatly simplified my fuel system re-plumb.

Jimmie

Big_Fig?!?

Did the sending unit swap over in the 33 gallon tank? What kind of filler neck did you use? What about the fuel pickup?

I wanna keep the selector valve and dual tanks if possible. That'd be nearly 50 gallons total capacity w/o anything in the bed (except the spare). I really want to spend $200 when I fill up.... :doh:

not enoughsmoke

Reaction score
I installed a 38gallon rear tank and my own sump
IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
I seen one the other day on an e250 mid 90s it was the camper edition don't quot me but id say it was at least a 60 gal tank easily twice the size of my front tank might be worth looking into

Mr. Neutron

Reaction score
Big_Fig?!?

Guilty as charged, Clive! How've ya been?

Did the sending unit swap over in the 33 gallon tank?

Yes, but.... I use a "modified" stock float sending unit. I really wish I knew where I put the pics of my modded float/sender deal. I can't find them, for whatever reason.... :confused:

At one time, I had big plans for my truck that were gonna require big amounts of fuel. So, I used a 5/8" aluminum fuel line for the pick up tube inside the tank. It has a screen clamped over the end of it to filter out rocks & some fungus. I lengthened the stock float arm, but can't recall how much. I cut the stock float arm in half, slipped a piece of steel tubing with the same i.d. as the o.d. of the float arm over both halves of the float's arm, and gas welded everything back together, slightly longer. I wasn't real scientific about it...... :lookaround: I simply hose-clamped the stock sending setup to my aluminum pick up tube. My fuel gauge now "lies" to me: when it says I'm on empty, I still have around 4-5 gallons left sloshing around in the bottom of the tank. :thumbsup: The sending unit can be adjusted/slid up & down on the aluminum pickup tube, to make it more "accurate", but I'm lazy, and actually like having a small amount of "reserve", ya know? Anyway, I "scrapped" my plans for needing "Big Fuel", and went back to racing mx again. That's where my "discretionary income" goes now..... I guess I'm a little "old", technically, for that sport, but I still love it, and have a lotta fun with either the old guys I race with/against, or the younger crowd I practice with. Helps having a moto track only 6 miles from my house..... :D

What kind of filler neck did you use?

A modified stock one. I put a barbed hose fitting at the top of the fuel filler neck, and instead of a rollover valve, used a plastic plumbing elbow, with a hose barbed fitting on that. Ran either 1/2" or 5/8" hose up fron that elbow to the fitting in the stock filler neck, for a vent when filling. It works better than the stock Ford setup, but not as good as what I've read about Transferflow setup.

What about the fuel pickup?

I hope I kinda answered that above. Again, if I can find some pics, I'll sure try to post them. That would help a lot, as I'm not real good at the verbal description thing. They may possibly be hosted at thedieselstop.com, but I couldn't figure out how to log in there under my old username (Big Fig). :confused:

I wanna keep the selector valve and dual tanks if possible. That'd be nearly 50 gallons total capacity w/o anything in the bed (except the spare). I really want to spend $200 when I fill up.... :doh:

More capacity will definitely do that for ya, CB! :jawdrop: I spent $111 at the pump Friday, for only 29 gallons!!! Felt like I'd been "violated"...... :eek:

Anyway, I hope this helps you some. I'll try to answer questions as best as i'm able. In the past, I'd have waited until I ran outta fuel, pulled the tank, pulled the sending unit out, and took photos. I'm much lazier now..... :shrug: And I hope I haven't omitted any "critical info" here. It's been several years since I did all this, and don't remember every last detail. I do recall that you want to "over engineer" your mounts for the bigger tank. I use a Bronco skid plate to support the bottom of my tank. But the tank is so tall, the skid plate won't reach to the frame like it does in the Bronco application. So at each corner of the skid plate, I have some fabbed up/welded deals that connects the skid plate to the frame, while keeping the tank captive at the bottom with the skid plate, and with the straps on top. Again, I hope this makes sense. Maybe I made it harder than it actually is; I dunno. I used 4 lengths of 3/8" all-thread & nuts as my "extenders: from the skid plate-to-frame mounts at first. After a couple of years, and much flexing & stress when the tank was full, going over bumpy roads & etc., the all thread broke one morning as I drove to work. For about 25 yards, I was literally "pulling" my tank along behind me by the supply & return hoses, as the full tank skidded along on the Bronco skid plate. My "new" (well they're probably over 5 years old now....) welded mounts/extender/gizzies haven't done that, saving me much embarassment.......

Side Note: I really like the sump setup Not enough Smoke has shown above my post here.... Is that a steel tank?

Jimmie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online