Shallow subs...

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I had my heart set on p3s to replace my kickers. Now that im ready to replace them I don't know what to get. I had the kickers set to 500 rms. I would like 2 12's with a little more power than that. What are my options? Shallow mounts are outta my league.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm looking for a lot of raw punching power that sounds good. I had 500 rms and I am happy with that but I just want a tad bit more. Do you know your ohm load on those offhand? Thats another thing I'd like if possible is least resistance between 2 subs on a D amp.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
I was on the verge of either putting 2 12's in my truck or a single JL13tw5.. I went with the 13tw5 and could not be happier. I have it very under powered and it ROCKS my truck!! It's only at about half power and it's louder than my buddies 2 12's. Just a suggestion. It really surprised me!

chromehound

Reaction score
12" Alpine S (?)
subs.jpg

Austin

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has 2 8"s from sundown in his jeep. They pack as much punch as any 12" I have ever heard, and sounds somewhere between a million to a billion times better.

Just saying.

wint

Reaction score
P3 shallow 12s seem to be a very good bang for your buck, i have one and it sounds very good. Stupid me cant give the specs on it. But i have it hooked up on a old Crunch 1000 watt amp (doubting the true wattage). It pounds when you want and is very tame when you want as well. 250 bucks for a sub in box.....cant get that value just anywhere.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
12" Alpine S (?)
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y317/pepper212/ford/sub][/QUOTE]

I was looking at alpines but not sure about sound quality.

[QUOTE="Austin, post: 99359, member: 192"]A buddy of mine has 2 8"s from sundown in his jeep. They pack as much punch as any 12" I have ever heard, and sounds somewhere between a million to a billion times better.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]

Trying to move air molecules....

[QUOTE="wint, post: 99371, member: 119"]P3 shallow 12s seem to be a very good bang for your buck, i have one and it sounds very good. Stupid me cant give the specs on it. But i have it hooked up on a old Crunch 1000 watt amp (doubting the true wattage). It pounds when you want and is very tame when you want as well. 250 bucks for a sub in box.....cant get that value just anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I was set on 2 p3s but i just want more power than they have to offer. Need 2 subs tied together with least resistance. Anyone know a good speaker forum? Anything?

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I have Pioneer shallows in my truck and I am very impressed, much better than the JL W1's I had. I highly suggest you look them up. I am also a big fan of those Alpine type-s subs, great sub for the price. Putting 2 in my Ranchero in fact. I can't stand any Rockford Fosgate sub... Just keep in mind with any shallow setup you are sacrificing a little bit of real low frequency SQ and volume...

A buddy of mine has 2 8"s from sundown in his jeep. They pack as much punch as any 12" I have ever heard, and sounds somewhere between a million to a billion times better.

Just saying.

You haven't heard any good 12's have you?

Last edited:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have Pioneer shallows in my truck and I am very impressed, much better than the JL W1's I had. I highly suggest you look them up. I am also a big fan of those Alpine type-s subs, great sub for the price. Putting 2 in my Ranchero in fact. I can't stand any Rockford Fosgate sub... Just keep in mind with any shallow setup you are sacrificing a little bit of real low frequency SQ and volume...

I have been looking at those pioneers. RF is great for teens and stuff in high school. I loved my p2s when I was 16. I would go with around 400rms but like your last sentence states I know what I'll be losing and im hoping to make up for it with a tad more power.

You haven't heard any good 12's have you?

I wasn't gonna say anything but it's fine that you did, everyone needs to learn. I really would like for this to stay on track until I get everything figured out. Other wise I'll wind up like I did with box subs....buying every kind of shallow mount out there till i find one i like. I would like to get this right the first time.

Thanks.:toast:

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I wasn't gonna say anything but it's fine that you did, everyone needs to learn. I really would like for this to stay on track until I get everything figured out. Other wise I'll wind up like I did with box subs....buying every kind of shallow mount out there till i find one i like. I would like to get this right the first time.

Thanks.:toast:

I did the same thing in high school had 5 different set ups in my truck. Best one was 2 12" Alpine Type-X's, but that is very expensive and takes up a lot of room. I have used Type-E's and Type-S' before and I think they sound great. As far as shallow's go I stand by my Pioneers. Yes there are better ones, but the extra cost isn't worth it IMO. I wasn't trying to start a brand war, just voicing my opinion...

Last edited:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I did the same thing in high school had 5 different set ups in my truck. Best one was 2 12" Alpine Type-X's, but that is very expensive and takes up a lot of room. I have used Type-E's and Type-S' before and I think they sound great. As far as shallow's go I stand by my Pioneers. Yes there are better ones, but the extra cost isn't worth it IMO. I wasn't trying to start a brand war, just voicing my opinion...

Well the 8 vs 12 thing is all good go on with it, stay civil. About the pioneers, how bout a review?

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I guess it's something you would have to hear, maybe the way he installed it. I know he spent a lot of time and money on good parts.

It definitely made for a much better listening experience than any other setup I have ever heard.

It could sound real good but you can't argue that fact that more surface area will move more air... Yes 2 good 8's will beat one crappy 12. It will also depend on what type of music you listen to, but because you said they pack as much "punch" as 12's I took it as they beat most 12's in volume.

Last edited:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well I went to a car audio forum they are saying i only have enough airspace for 8s so what to do what to do.

David S.

Reaction score
jl 8 inchers are awesome. I have two in my crewcab and it's the perfect amount of bass for me

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.