Cutting and welding two HPOP res together

Big Bore

Reaction score
What do you think? Was planning on the Dieselsite reservoir block, but started wondering if stacking two together, maybe not the whole second one, maybe half, would be a good idea. Lower one could be tapped on bottom like the Dieselsite unit. Got a couple other ideas kicking around.

juniort444e

Reaction score
What is the point behind doing that. Im curious as i want to do compounds and im guessing thats where you will getting your oil from. Still learning tho.

Big Bore

Reaction score
What is the point behind doing that. Im curious as i want to do compounds and im guessing thats where you will getting your oil from. Still learning tho.

Wasn't planning on using reservoir for oil supply to atmo, but may be a possibility I'll look at. Real reason was more oil in res for twin HPOP's. I think using it for the turbo might defeat that purpose.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ohhh ok. Yea i have an srp1 so wasnt really worried about more in the res since its a single. If you do this take some pics incase i want to do this for the turbo feed.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
What year res are you gonna use?

Think the OBS res was cast wasn't it? VS the newer models, that look more machined?

I dunno if you'd be successful trying to cut and weld two cast reservoirs to hold fluid.

Big Bore

Reaction score
What year res are you gonna use?

Think the OBS res was cast wasn't it? VS the newer models, that look more machined?

I dunno if you'd be successful trying to cut and weld two cast reservoirs to hold fluid.

Was planning to use SD res. The thought I had just now was this, on the SD I think the top and bottom gasket are the same, so either stack two SD res, or cut one down and have it machined for the gasket. Might be easier done with less issues.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Just weld in a cylindrical piece and make a standpipe for the air purge at the top. The taller the reservior is, the more air gets separated out of the oil.... that's the name of the game.

Tom S

Reaction score
I am think that the aluminum might be fussy to weld after it has had years of oil soaked into it. I have noticed in the past guys have had less then 100% success with welding up stuff like pedistals.

Big Bore

Reaction score
All the hassle... I would just buy the diesel site piece. Its not much.

Says the guy who's dash has more holes than Dukeys Dodge car frame. LOL

I'm not sure how much more capacity one gets with the Dieselsite piece and I'd like to add quite a bit more. Another nice feature would be a drain that would empty the res.

Southmike

Reaction score
Dig around the net for psychostrokers hpop pic iirc he added a couple qts to his rez.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I wish I could draw it up, but I came up with a pretty cool idea, at least IMO.

I thought it would be cool to take some 1" or a little bigger stainless tubing and weld it closed on both ends, then weld some 1/2" or bigger tubing with flares and fittings and tap into the reservoir on top and bottom. And maybe do 2 or 3 of those.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I am think that the aluminum might be fussy to weld after it has had years of oil soaked into it. I have noticed in the past guys have had less then 100% success with welding up stuff like pedistals.

Good point.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Just so that I'm on the same page, your wanting to put a Res on top of another and have two pumps? One for each head? How will the oil feed both?

Jake

Reaction score

I have tried to weld them with very little success. If they could be hot tanked it would help but oil soaked aluminum sucks, especially the rough casted obs ones. Best way I found was hot tank, set the frequency at 70 hz and balance at 50% 20 cfh argon and a nice wide puddle. They looked ugly but didn't leak.

juniort444e

Reaction score
What if you made one from scratch. What all should be included inside of it. Ive seen a screen filter and two different chambers. Is there a reason they have two chambers or no, if not why couldnt one build a single chamber piece thats biggger for more oil.

Latest posts

Members online