6.0 to something better

George

Reaction score
I'm a recent Duramax convert. Not because I didnt like the engine but because I'm 6'5'' and dont fit comfortably in chevrolets. Any way I traded my LB7 even for an 05 king ranch super duty with two blown head gaskets. I can fix the 6.0 but I'd rather just swap another engine in (but not a cummins) Im a diesel tech and have the resources and skills but I wanted to ask you guys opinions on swapping in a 6.7 psd or an lbz duramax. Save all the idiotic remarks asking why I didnt just buy a 6.7 or keep a duramax. I want a custom truck and thats it. I know i would have to pretty much find a donor 6.7 truck with the dash and all the other stuff I need to swap but i can do a duramax allison swap with stand alone controllers and keep the ford transfer case. So..... Give me ideas. Im open to suggetsions.

George

Reaction score
I live in NC. I understand you think its a waste of time but not for me. I personally think taking a 8,000lb truck and drag racing it is dumb but hey..... people do it.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
be sure to keep us posted on this project although my crystal ball has already told me exactly how it will unfold

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
he was saying do a dmax/allison swap OR do a 6.7 Ford swap

the Dmax setup will be easier, especially if you are already familiar with them. But it still sounds like a huge waste of time/money to me

if you were going to do a 6.7, why not just fix the truck, sell it, profit, and buy a 6.7?

you're going to have a bunch of time and money wrapped up in either swap that you'll never get back... fixing the 6.0 would be quick and you could actually make money vs. setting it on fire

co04cobra

Reaction score
We have done several engine conversions. Currently finishing up an 08 6.4 to 7.3 swap. Have changed several 6.0s to 7.3s.

My only input is get a donor truck and keep it a PSD!!! :ford:

slc dzl

Reaction score
he was saying do a dmax/allison swap OR do a 6.7 Ford swap

the Dmax setup will be easier, especially if you are already familiar with them. But it still sounds like a huge waste of time/money to me

if you were going to do a 6.7, why not just fix the truck, sell it, profit, and buy a 6.7?

you're going to have a bunch of time and money wrapped up in either swap that you'll never get back... fixing the 6.0 would be quick and you could actually make money vs. setting it on fire

Thanks for the clarification.

co04cobra

Reaction score
a 7.3 is a smidge less complex than a Dmax or 6.7 PSD swap

Yea engine wiring wise it's simple. Leaving the 08 dash working on a ground system vs. the "normal" 12v control system with mostly 7.3 wiring, not so much. Also, Was kind of a pita leaving the all the 08 coolers with the 7.3 and A/C system.

Have you did either swap?

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
no, I haven't did a 7.3 swap, nor would I waste the time/money/effort to do so

Why? You don't like having reliability and functionality? Truck came to me with a trashed 6.4 short block in it, and at 10K+ to put a 6.4 back in, for my clientele that will beat and abuse the **** out of it, didn't make sense.

I'm really not into pissing matches. Just offering advice to the OP, that I have done several swaps, and to get a donor truck.

As long as what you are doing makes you money and what I do does the same, everybody's happy!! :ford:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
DEFINITELY get a donor truck no matter which way you go...

What works for one definitely might not work for another. I would rather just fix/sell whatever I had that wasn't working for me and buy something that would. Custom stuff is great if it's your own stuff and it's some sort of dream combo. Otherwise it's just time/money/headache that I don't care to spend :D

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I know a few people who have put 7.3's in newer trucks and it urks the **** out of me personally. But I agree with dod and its a waste of time and money to just be different. Superglueing dildos on it would make it different but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be a waste of time.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I know a few people who have put 7.3's in newer trucks and it urks the **** out of me personally. But I agree with dod and its a waste of time and money to just be different. Superglueing dildos on it would make it different but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be a waste of time.

you have an eloquent way with words, sir

co04cobra

Reaction score

See that's where opinions vary. It urks the *** out of me, and my customers, that it costs 10K++ to put an engine in a truck.

Why would I, or whoever, not do it if the guy is paying you to do it, AND it makes the truck suit his needs way better.

Sure, he or I, could buy an older F-550 with a 7.3, but good luck finding one that isn't rusted to ****...

At the end of the day it's the owners time and money.

I'd rather slam my dik in a book and drink cyanide then put a duramax or cummins in something, BUT if it's not my money who cares....

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
LOL, you use your mouth real purty too!

agreed, it's the customer's money... but man, how many hours of labor do you have in a clean 7.3 conversion? :confused:

you can do a complete 7.3 conversion with a fresh engine for under $10k?

my problem with that is now Jonny Coalminer has a truck that's worth half as much as it was before... I like to retail my trucks to parts of the country where truck prices are nice and high. Hard to do that with a one-off truck

Reaction score
Rebuilding the top end of the 6 liter is going to be the cheapest Route and be quick and sound just as good a Dmax Id think, Unless you can get donor parts very cheap or free. Id hate seeing another Gm V8 in a ford IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.