4x4 help

chris89

Reaction score
I got stuck in the sand and tried to put it in 4wd but it the front hubs wouldn't lock in. I have the shifter on the floor I have noticed before that it would feel like it was in 4wd but didn't think anything of it until my dad asked if the front drive line would spin. Any help on how to fix this. Also the 4x4 light on the dash would come on .

dmd

Reaction score
You need to clarify if the the transfer case is really locked in, or if it is the
hubs that are the problem. Then we can work from there.

chris89

Reaction score
well how i check the two out. Im fairly new to oning a truck.

chris89

Reaction score
wouldn't the shaft turn with the wheels if they are off the ground?

G Racing

Reaction score
Did you turn the hub to see if the 4 wheel drive would work? There should be an "auto" and a "lock" setting. If it doesn't work when it's in auto then you could have a vacuum leak to the hub

chris89

Reaction score
there is no words on the hub but there is a dot. I did what turned them to the left when I was stuck.

G Racing

Reaction score
Well if turning them didn't help then either the hubs are bad or the transfer case is not engaging. Do as stated above. Put all 4 on jack stands and see if the front shaft will turn when it is in 4x4

G Racing

Reaction score
With all 4 off the ground and in 4x4 the front and rear driveshatfts should turn. If the front shaft turns and the front wheels don't then you have a problem with the hubs or even in the front differential. If the front shaft does not turn then you have a problem with the transfer case

chris89

Reaction score
ok so I jacked it up put it in 4wd and tried turning the front drive line and could tell the rear was trying to turn also. Then I turned the front wheels and both would start to spin the drive line. So apparently someone looked them in and didn't unlock them and I had it all back word. I don't was to get stuck to test it but does this all sound like it should now?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
An easy way to tell if your hubs are locked in is put the transfer case in 2wd and grab the front shafts and turn them by hand. With the hubs unlocked they should spin easily, locked they should not spin. This is with all 4 tires on the ground

Wright337

Reaction score
He did say that when he was stuck that he turned them to the left. So actually when he got stuck he unlocked them.

Latest posts

Members online