think i have a trans problem

black974door

Reaction score
i have done a complete diy rebuild kit from john woods. i took the truck to the track to see what she would do with stage 1s, tw chip, new rebuilt trans and diy e-fuel. i spooled up to 1500rpms on pre stage and then bumped into stage. as i left the line it felt as if the trans slipped then when i lifted and got back on it everything was fine. as i pulled off the track i noticed that it locked the converter up aroung 5mph and didnt release the converter inbetween shifts. out of the 3 runs i did that night it did it to me twice. it didnt do it when i went straight to stage and quickly took the rpms to 1500. well last week i installed hybrid injectors and reburned tw chip. went to a back road poped it into 4wd drive and took my time spooling and when i took off it did it agine.
What would cause the trans to automatically lock the tc in first gear? is that a fail safe? i was told it could be a seal leaking but wich one? also during the rebuild that upper valve body had so much junk in it that the valves were sticking. so i took memory cloth and smothered everything out to make the valves move correctly. could i have smoothed it out to much and now to much fluid is getting by and now i need a new upper vb?
thanks for any advice,
Mark

David N

Reaction score
Sounds like you flashed the torque converter. But you shouldnt have done that with an aftermarket TQ...

jetfxr

Reaction score
Does it stay locked in reverse or drive at idle during a stop?

My truck did that to me once and it turned out I had a bad main electrical connector at the trans and it let moisture in. The ground for the lockup solenoid found the main ground and was constantly locked. However this could be an internal hydraulic issue. To rule it out unplug the main trans connector and go for a short drive. If it stays unlocked you obviously have an electrical issue. Also with it unplugged by default you will only have second gear unless you put it in manual 1 and full line pressure. It's not good for these tranny's driving full line pressure so only a SHORT drive. Try not to use manual 1 because it completely hydraulically locks out the converter clutch and hard to tell if it's still got the issue.

black974door

Reaction score
no it doesnt lock when stopping or in reverse. what do you mean flashed the tc? its a 6.0 tc that i got from cary.
i kknow it will lock the convter in first but when my trans messes up it locks the converter around 5mph under light throttle.

jetfxr

Reaction score
On that note I would pull the electrical connection and try it. It will hopefully point you in a direction. Hope that helps

black974door

Reaction score
so unplug the main harness connecter and see if it still locks up or not? shoud i do the spool up also cause thats when it does it.

jetfxr

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to try what ever causes the issue. Yeah if the main connector is unplugged the electrical signal is removed from the lockup solenoid, which causes the fluid that locks up the converter to be exhausted to the pan.

black974door

Reaction score
Not yet. I don't have his number. Will have to look it up. As soon as this week of rain stops I'm gonna. Do some testing. Thanks for the advice. Ill Keep everyone informed on the results

black974door

Reaction score
Sorry I missed read that cary. I called yesterday but he was busy building 2 transmissions that needed to be sent out. So just waiting on a call back

black974door

Reaction score
just for fun i installed my buddys chip in my truck just to see how the trans tunning and all were and i could not get my problem to arise. so im guessing a tunning issue? maybe needs more line pressure? there was big changes in the way the trans acted(in a good way)

jetfxr

Reaction score
Call your chip tuner. Could be a bad tune, bad chip or any of the above. I didn't even think of that since we were talking of a trans issue:doh: Hopefully it's just a tuning issue and nothing more.

black974door

Reaction score
seems as if it is just a tunning issue. still have my buddys chip and i dont wanna give it back because of how well the trans is acting now. its amazing

jetfxr

Reaction score
So then don't give it back:poke: At least you found it to be something easy and stupid. Those are my favorite kind of fixes.

black974door

Reaction score
i know i love these fixes. o i dont want to and i think hell let me boroow it for a lil while till he gets his bts cause he dont want me to tear up my good trans