HTP Invertig 221

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
I wouldn't change what you have now the div is a awsome welder and also easier to use than a bigger tig with more adjustments

Only reason I would upgrade would be for water cooled if you do alot of thick aluminum

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
I use a 165 & wish I had got the 180.. I thought the 221 & syncrowave 210 were simple machine too but w/more ac controlling + more amps?

Wastegate

Reaction score
I had not the same welder but had alot of the same features for about 4 years, the everlast powerpro 256s with a watercooled torch. Just changed up to a Div 180 couple months ago and love it. Air cooled torch is alot more ergonomic/easier to position, And I really didn't need to f with ac balance unless the aluminum was really crapped up. Pulse control would be nice but can sorta do that with the pedal.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/multi-process-tig-stick-plasma/powerpro-256s

ja_cain

Reaction score
Keep in mind you can always setup an inverter to weld like a transformer machine. Put it on 60hz, adjust the balance accordingly and just run a balled tungsten. If you get a 200 amp machine and are going to be welding a fair amount of aluminum then the water cooled setup is the way to go. The water cooled torch is smaller and the lines are smaller. Hand doesn't get hot when doing long passes and you don't have to worry so much about burning it up as long as you maintain coolant flow.

If I was going to get a personal machine it would be the htp. I run a dynasty 200 at work and it would be nice to have the 20 extra amps. Plus, HTP (Jeff?) Is an awesome guy to deal with.

Will post up a pic of my water cooled torch vs air cooled torch (CK) when I get to work.

Last edited:

NathannialD

Reaction score
I know this is old but we had a little 165 for a while until I got into the alum. I bought a 350lx and I prefer it 10x over the little machine. Obviously the water cooled torch is awesome but I found low amp is much more stable and consistent. Obviously having more control has improved alum welds as well

equalizier

Reaction score
with the 165 you can weld 2 minutes @ 150 or so amps and have to let it rest for 2 minutes.i have a 165 that needs a board has weld craft adjustable torch if some one is interested pm me.oh the board cost 350 and at miller they want 850 but the shop that fixes welders couldn't get to it so i bought a dial arc hf with cool mate 4.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I know this is old but we had a little 165 for a while until I got into the alum. I bought a 350lx and I prefer it 10x over the little machine. Obviously the water cooled torch is awesome but I found low amp is much more stable and consistent. Obviously having more control has improved alum welds as well
The 350lx is a beast. My buddy has one with a Bernard cooler. I've been meaning to get everything hooked up for him and bring the 200dx out there so we can do some comparisons. I've had some thicker (1/2") aluminum jobs that would have been perfect for that thing. Instead I had to do a whole lot of preheating. It's been a while since I've welded with balled up pure tungsten, so I'm not sure about not having the near pin point accuracy of the inverter machine with a sharpened lanthinated tungsten. On bigger/thicker jobs it probably isn't a big deal.

Drilldo

Reaction score
It seems everything HTP has a huge backorder. I know they make quality stuff and I am not saying it is going to break but if it takes them two months to get a new customer a machine how long do you figure it takes them to fix one? I was considering purchasing a 221 with water cooler but now am looking at blue. The backorder has me uneasy.

TurboM700

Reaction score
I just bought a (thru my work) a miller 350 dynasty, holy cow does that thing weld nice.

I have many, many yrs of welding alum,ss,crs and this thing is so much easier to weld with compared to even the cheap inverter machines.

Its hard to explain when welding alum with it, but it doesnt seem to have to warm the alum up as much to get it to melt. If that makes any sense.

I can grab a peice of .375 alum turn the amps to 220 and weld all day with outo having to stand on the peddle to get the puddle started.

I know they are alot of money (9k) but really worth it.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I just bought a (thru my work) a miller 350 dynasty, holy cow does that thing weld nice.

I have many, many yrs of welding alum,ss,crs and this thing is so much easier to weld with compared to even the cheap inverter machines.

Its hard to explain when welding alum with it, but it doesnt seem to have to warm the alum up as much to get it to melt. If that makes any sense.

I can grab a peice of .375 alum turn the amps to 220 and weld all day with outo having to stand on the peddle to get the puddle started.

I know they are alot of money (9k) but really worth it.

The 350 is on my short list. Getting ready to build a cooler for my wc torch. Are you running a sharpened tungsten with a/c set higher then 60hz? That will allow you to focus the arc/heat much better (along with more en on the ballance as long as you are clearing the oxide) thus decreasing puddling time. Welding with an inverter is awesome but can be a little more tricky do to all of the extra settings. The 350 is nice because you can set the en/ep power independently. This also could be why it puddles quicker. Congrats on the purchase.

Latest posts

Members online