Sound Upgrade

jdgleason

Reaction score
Hey guys I was lookin for some suggestions for an upgrade for speakers and stuff for my truck. I have the factory sub etc. I would want new door speakers if there would be a good cost effective upgrade, new tweeters also, and probably an amp with a different sub. Any suggestions?

Spatel23

Reaction score
best thing to do would be to come up with a budget. I know it seems funny but with speakers there are so many different possibilities and levels its mind boggling.

You could upgrade your doors in pairs for anywhere from $100 to $1000 so you see where picking a price range will come in handy while picking out speakers.

That being said, I really like Kicker and JL Audio amps because they are always rated true or more than what is advertised and are legit power.
For door speakers, Focal.
For subs, JL Audio.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Same boat here, the way my stock setup sounds right now with my p4300, I feel like anything I put in would be in equal sound quality to stock. But I know I'm wrong on that by far haha. I definitely want some bang for my buck later down the road for sure. 2k for speakers all around would sound insane though.

Last edited:

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Not yet LOL, that's a good way to think. Post up when you get it back and how they both sound. Gonna be sick.

jdgleason

Reaction score
As far as a budget, idk where to start. I think the stock system sounds pretty good and want to make sure I actually see a difference.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Not yet LOL, that's a good way to think. Post up when you get it back and how they both sound. Gonna be sick.

LOL will do.

As far as a budget, idk where to start. I think the stock system sounds pretty good and want to make sure I actually see a difference.

I was in the same boat as you are. What I did was got a new headunit for GPS and also because the amp inside pushed the stock speakers better. I also added a sub and was happy for quite some time without messing with anything else.

I think I just got bored and added the door speakers/dynamat/etc.

Id see how you like the sound of things by adding a headunit and sub, then go from there.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you are. What I did was got a new headunit for GPS and also because the amp inside pushed the stock speakers better. I also added a sub and was happy for quite some time without messing with anything else.

I think I just got bored and added the door speakers/dynamat/etc.

Id see how you like the sound of things by adding a headunit and sub, then go from there.

I was hoping to retain factory headunit.... :doh: lol

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Silly question but what source do you listen to music from most of the time? example, ipod, cd's, etc..?

jdgleason

Reaction score
Usually ipod. Im really wondering now if maybe my best bet is to just get a nice amp and sub to replace the factory ones. A better amp should push the factory speakers better, correct?

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Usually ipod. Im really wondering now if maybe my best bet is to just get a nice amp and sub to replace the factory ones. A better amp should push the factory speakers better, correct?

If you think the stock system sounds ok to your ears, try this, rip music to your ipod in Apple lossless format. Try that before spending money on subs, amps, etc.. If your music is compressed to 128kbs it will sound like $h!t even after dropping money on audio upgrades. Apple lossless uses a lot of storage but the results in clarity and detail even thru your stock system will be dramaticly improved. Best part is its free. :rockon:

jdgleason

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Ill check that out too. Im still lookin for just a little more out of the system tho even with radio, cd's etc

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Ill check that out too. Im still lookin for just a little more out of the system tho even with radio, cd's etc

I'd go with a good head unit then, let the internal amp, built in EQ. and sub control, try to satisfy you first. If you need more then new door speakers, either 5x7 or 6x8 drop in. If you still want more then sub and amp(s). This is the most pragmatic process of elimination imo. But def try the lossless out first, sounds like a new stereo. Good luck!