• 1) What are you selling?

2) What is its condition?

3) Where are you located?

4) What is your asking price?

5) Pictures/videos?

6) At least 3 days between bumping your own ad.

7) No more than 5 ads per individual at once.

8) No commercial sales.

9) You must post when the item sells and state that it is SOLD. Do not report the post or PM moderators to remove your post once it is sold.

10) No feeler ads.

11) No firearms or firearm accessories.

Detroit locker

davey99ps

Reaction score
When I sold my last truck to a friend, he didnt have enough cash for the truck but he really wanted it. So he asked me if I'd take the cash he did have an a used detroit locker, an since he's a pretty good guy an needed a truck I told him we had a deal. Initially I was gonna use it on my new truck till I discovered mine already has a tru-trac. My question is, does anyone have any idea what its worth? It came out of an 06 f250, has approx. 10,000mi on it, an still has the bearings pressed on. He was running 4.33s or something like that for gears on it. Thanks for any help

davey99ps

Reaction score
I looked it up, an I found new 1s in the $700 range, I just don't have any clue what they're worth used. Before I put it up for sale I'd like to come up with a fair price

davey99ps

Reaction score
I've decided I'm asking $400 for the locker. I talked to the guys at Randy's ring & pinion today, they told me it will fit both sterling 10.5 and 10.25. They also told me its a very strong unit, they don't have many issues with them. Let me know if anyone's interested

davey99ps

Reaction score
I'd also consider trades of eqaul value or depending on what it is, I could kick in some more $. Lifts, rims, turbo, elec. fuel systems, etc. Let me know what you got

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
the true trac is still a limited slip but with worm gears and springs not clutch packs. stock limited slip has spider gears and clutch packs that are weaker than worm gears. the locker is fully locked with out clutches or springs...

hope that helped!

Danbonzo

Reaction score
A Detroit locker is just that "locked". When you are on the throttle the unit locks and will stay locked period. They are extremely strong and reliable. The difference between the newer Detroit units and the old style is Eaton redesigned them and they are now called "soft lockers" they perform just as well as the old bullet proof rears but they are much quieter, the signature ratcheting noise is no longer noticeable and the unit actually un-locks in a corner (if you are NOT on the accelerator and just coasting) to compensate for different inside and outside wheel speed. I absolutely love mine and feel there is absolutely Zero draw back vs. the more popular Tru-Trac selection most make for its limited slip capability on the street. I wanted a fool proof 100 % posi rear so thats why I chose this route, again with no regrets. My tires have never worn more evenly, flatter or better.
The limited slips e.g. stock Sterling is okay with the bone stock power level but once the high horsepower tunes get installed they suk but quick, torque overpowers the clutch pack in no time. The aftermarket clutch material type limited slips may offer a longer life but w/ the race tune power and a heavy foot it will be a matter of time till they fry and become the infamous one wheel peel unit. Let's face it any clutch friction material has an absolute torque handling capability, period. I've heard good things from most about the Tru trac rears, but I have also heard from reliable source that they do not always perform as advertised particularly while off-roading but applying the brake tricks the unit and can get it to distribute the power evenly again.

So to paraphrase; the tru trac is a Torsen or TORque SENsing unit that needs feedback to operate properly. The Selectable variants (via switching) are typically either electronically or pneumatically actuated to select between either an open or a locked unit. Clutch type limited slips like the stock 10.5" Sterling or Eaton posi LSD uses a friction material and springs to control power to both wheels. And the Detroit Locker is full time posi traction rear end that delivers 100% of the torque to both drive wheels, as long as you are on the power.

Snake

Reaction score
I'll politely disagree with the feedback on the TruTrac. Mine's been in for 80k miles and I've had zero issues with it not locking. My truck weighs somewhere near 10k lbs (4.30 gears) and I've been SCT tuned the entire time. I'm 100% satisfied with it.

One point to add: the TruTrac does not have any clutches.

Last edited: