swamps IDM and DP Tuner

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I own a early 99 power stroke with a dptuner (standard tunes) I was looking at the swamps idm which changes not only the volts but also the frequency. It's advertised to add 30hp to mildly modified trucks. I'm very interested in it and was wondering if anyone who has it is willing to chime in and tell me how they like the idm? Secondly would I need my Dp tuner to be custom tuned so I don't mess anything up on my motor and how well would the two perform together?
Thanks!!

V-Ref

Reaction score
I don't believe you'll need any tuning changes.

Quicker starts, more active/lively pedal and more fuel for the same tuning is what I see/saw when I installed mine on a 2000 AD injector truck.

Additionally, later when chasing a idle resolution problem with some larger hybrids and other mods on the truck, I swapped a stocker IDM back in for troubleshooting purposes...and IMHO... saw a tad better idle quality with the Swamps IDM and the big hybrids. My 2 pennies. Good luck.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I don't think the high frequency mod is good for a street truck. It makes a lot of heat in the IDM but I could be wrong.

genie144

Reaction score
I have a HVHF Swamp's IDM and would recommend it. My only use for the truck is street driving...

So here is my thoughts on this. The increased voltage and frequency clean up and boost the signal going to the injectors. This allows any injectors to be more responsive to the signal received from the throttle position sensor. As with building any system... You need to have the building blocks to support the system as it becomes more robust.

I believe the IDM upgrade to be one of the essential pieces to getting your truck to perform better - at ANY power level. As you request more and more performance, having a clear powerful electrical signal becomes a requirement rather than an option. There are many ways to achieve the high voltage IDM - I personally believe that the HVHF upgrade offered by Swamps is the best route for anyone seeking more than stockish power.

You can think of it this way - your stock IDM is old broadcast TV - weak signal with static. The "solution" was boosting the power of the broadcast so now you had a better picture (100V to 110V to 120V to aftermarket 140V IDM) - but still had static/interference. Now think of digital broadcast TV - the picture is crystal clear with no static/interference (HVHF IDM). As with your injectors, changing the source doesn't adversely affect the longevity of your TV - it just changes the picture you see.

Sam

Gearhead

Reaction score
I have a HVHF Swamp's IDM and would recommend it. My only use for the truck is street driving...

So here is my thoughts on this. The increased voltage and frequency clean up and boost the signal going to the injectors. This allows any injectors to be more responsive to the signal received from the throttle position sensor. As with building any system... You need to have the building blocks to support the system as it becomes more robust.

I believe the IDM upgrade to be one of the essential pieces to getting your truck to perform better - at ANY power level. As you request more and more performance, having a clear powerful electrical signal becomes a requirement rather than an option. There are many ways to achieve the high voltage IDM - I personally believe that the HVHF upgrade offered by Swamps is the best route for anyone seeking more than stockish power.

You can think of it this way - your stock IDM is old broadcast TV - weak signal with static. The "solution" was boosting the power of the broadcast so now you had a better picture (100V to 110V to 120V to aftermarket 140V IDM) - but still had static/interference. Now think of digital broadcast TV - the picture is crystal clear with no static/interference (HVHF IDM). As with your injectors, changing the source doesn't adversely affect the longevity of your TV - it just changes the picture you see.

Sam

How much more wattage does the HF mod make the IDM use? On a street motor the HV isn't really doing much more than advancing the timing but on a competition sled puller setup it does help when the commanded pulsewidth available is short enought to need something like this. Once upon a time this mod wasn't recommended as a street modification for fears of longevity of the IDM.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
How much more wattage does the HF mod make the IDM use? On a street motor the HV isn't really doing much more than advancing the timing but on a competition sled puller setup it does help when the commanded pulsewidth available is short enought to need something like this. Once upon a time this mod wasn't recommended as a street modification for fears of longevity of the IDM.

Sounds like it's time for a Poll to see who has the oldest modded IDM that hasn't been an issue. I would imagine there are some in the 7+ year range now.

-Michael

Gearhead

Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for a Poll to see who has the oldest modded IDM that hasn't been an issue. I would imagine there are some in the 7+ year range now.

-Michael

Talking about the high frequency only........ not the high voltage, it is fine.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
when i ordered mine they said since it was strictly a puller they would try to make it pretty hot, that says to me you can make them not last as long.

golfer

Reaction score
no durability issues with the HV HHz IDM...though we can/do push the envelope on competition only trucks, due to increased heat.

at one time we had 4 IDM's running on a truck to keep the heat manageable..each one had external cooling fans drawing the heat out of the case...

so...

the ones people order from our website, with the voltage & frequency modification are intended for street use, and would be warranted as such.

the frequency modification cleans up the electrical signal to the injector solenoids, and we are able to individually 'shape' each frequency signal curve, to match the signals for each IDM and its' intended application.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
no durability issues with the HV HHz IDM...though we can/do push the envelope on competition only trucks, due to increased heat.

at one time we had 4 IDM's running on a truck to keep the heat manageable..each one had external cooling fans drawing the heat out of the case...

so...

the ones people order from our website, with the voltage & frequency modification are intended for street use, and would be warranted as such.

the frequency modification cleans up the electrical signal to the injector solenoids, and we are able to individually 'shape' each frequency signal curve, to match the signals for each IDM and its' intended application.

I really think this is one of my next, if not last mod's I will be doing to my truck...

co04cobra

Reaction score
I went from just a modded voltage idm to one of swamps and saw a overall improvement. I would recommend it to anybody. I ran it with 238/100s as well as 300/200s. Tuning it should not be a issue. Jon a Beans tunes my truck and he live tuned my truck and didnt even know I had a swamps idm. My idle quality is excellent. I daily drive my truck, dyno, and sled pull it. I think that it is a worth while mod and a must for any high HP truck. Sounds like Dave can mod one for your needs. Daily driver to all out competition. :fordoval:

Southmike

Reaction score
at one time we had 4 IDM's running on a truck to keep the heat manageable.......
now thats thinking

Latest posts

Members online