Cavitation in water/fuel seperator???

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
My dads 6.4 has been dripping fuel off of the water/fuel seperator for awhile now. Last night I got under it to replace a gasket and install a new drain valve with orings. When I pulled the valve assembly off I noticed a bunch of junk in the bottom hole on the drain part, I disconnected the fuel lines and pulled the cover off and found a **** load of crap that looks like it cavitated the cover. He said he's never drained it but it's always gone to Ford for maintainance (for warranty reasons). I'm going to pick up a replacement part along with new filters today from Ford. Is this common? Should I be worried about the rest of the fuel system? I'll have to post up pics later to help describe what I'm talking about. Anyone have similar issues?

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Usually when they fill up with junk it is oyster looking and it is algea from the fuel/water? First ive ever heard of this

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I guess it kinda looks like algea, it's nasty whatever it is. I'm thinking the water/fuel seperator was never emptied, causing it to get all gunked up. My question now is why didn't the light come on on the dash?

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
I guess it kinda looks like algea, it's nasty whatever it is. I'm thinking the water/fuel seperator was never emptied, causing it to get all gunked up. My question now is why didn't the light come on on the dash?

Good question, I was thinking the same thing.

BFT

Reaction score
mine has never come on, then again i do my fuel filters every other oil change (6-10k). i would hope that ford changed out the drained the fuel water seperator and changed the filter

GROSSpolluter

Reaction score
get an airdog. my filter on the engine looked brandnew when i changed them all @ 10k mi. im going to wait 15-20k this time.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
He's starting to wonder if they have ever changed his filters at all. The weird thing is for about 2 or 3 tanks of fuel he averaged about 220 miles PER TANK OF FUEL!! The truck was constantly going into regen, and drinking fuel like crazy.
Yesterday was his 50th bday so we got him exhaust and an h&s, I'm about to put it on today. He was asking me about a FASS the other day, so I'm sure it'll be getting upgraded in the future as well.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
You have got to watch the Ford dealers. I changed a 6.0 filter the other day because it wouldnt run, got to the frame rail filter and they were getting changed every 10k supposed to anyways. He had 50k on the truck and they were black as the ace of spades. I think they may be the stock filters. If my dealership were to change mine, i would take the filters myself, and mark the date in permanent marker or paint marker on the plastic of them.

GROSSpolluter

Reaction score
You have got to watch the Ford dealers. I changed a 6.0 filter the other day because it wouldnt run, got to the frame rail filter and they were getting changed every 10k supposed to anyways. He had 50k on the truck and they were black as the ace of spades. I think they may be the stock filters. If my dealership were to change mine, i would take the filters myself, and mark the date in permanent marker or paint marker on the plastic of them.

check the part no. on the filter if it has a "ff " on it, its original.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Its too late he took it with him and was going by the dealer but i am pretty sure they were the same ones

Members online

No members online now.