What to look for when buying a used 7.3L Powerstroke.

MAC

Reaction score
Ok guys, not sure if this have been covered before, but what do you look for, and what are some of the questions you ask when buying a used 7.3L Powerstroke.

Make sure to be specific.

Atsah

Reaction score
One thing to make sure that you look at is the oil pan, they are known for rotting out and it's a time consuming job to replace it. I'm sure you will get more input from 7.3 guy's..

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Ask about the oil change intervals and if they have service records. Look at the oil filter itself and see how dirty it is. Also check out the water pump. They tend to go out when you don't want them to.

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
Ok guys, not sure if this have been covered before, but what do you look for, and what are some of the questions you ask when buying a used 7.3L Powerstroke.

Make sure to be specific.

Are you looking at getting one? Lemme know and i'll go with you.

MAC

Reaction score
Are you looking at getting one? Lemme know and i'll go with you.

Thanks, I'll have to take you up on that, will be nice having someone that's be around a Powerstroke before.

I've been looking around for awhile, just can't seem too find the right truck, they all either have over 300K on them, or they're just not what I'm looking for.

I've also been throwing around the idea of dropping a 7.3L in my 85 but that will be a little bit of work, and even after I get done the truck still won't be what I want.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
shaft play on turbo, look at air filter, look and smell the oils im sure you can tell the difference. also rear spring hangers off the frame they will rust not hard to change but something to look at to get price down maybe. if ya buddies have some 7.3's just listen close for anything out of the ordinary and core supports will go, just little things that can turn into problems