'05 No Start problem

Dieselfever

Reaction score
I've got someone with an '05 truck that will crank and hit(sometimes start and run for a second or 2) but smokes white and won't stay running. Engine oil is full, I can hear and actuate the HFCM working. I've used AE to check FICM logic power and main power, ICP and IPR duty cycle are acting correctly. It would built ICP up to 2000+ with the DC going up to around 48% IIRC. I ran a KOEO test and an Injector Buzz test, both passed.

When I got there the truck had 2 codes in it:

P0400 - EGR recirculation malfunction.
P0336 - CKP Sensor circuit performance.

One thing I checked was the FICM Sync signal, but I am confused by how AE displays this. With the KOEO it shows "0", when I crank the truck and it is trying to start and will sometimes run for a little the value goes to "1" and when it dies goes back to "0". The thing I don't know is which value represents "yes" and which represents "no". I'm guessing 0 = No and 1 = Yes.

Also any other things I should check to determine the problem? Thanks

-Michael

phale

Reaction score
I would try throwing a crank sensor at it. I had a truck in the shop a couple of weeks ago that acted similar. Also check fuel pressure. Just because you can hear the lift pump running does not mean that it is really pumping fuel.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Unplug EBP sensor, than unplug Glow Plug Control Module. retry

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Also would a bad crank sensor cause the symptoms I described in the first post? When this happened it started running badly, Had enough to get home and now it won't run

-Michael

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Got it to start and run today, first thing I did was unplug the EBP sensor. It started and ran but was really rough with a lot of white smoke, also wouldn't rev up(stopped at 1700-1800). The longer it ran the more it smoothed out and the smoke started going away, although it would still not want to rev up much past 2000 rpm(stopped around 2200-2400 now) and still smoked at higher RPM.

I'm getting a cyl 5 contribution fault and still the P0400 for EGR malfunction. Also when I put it into Drive it bogs down and dies, I watched ICP and it will bring it up higher as it is dying to try and keep it running.

-Michael

phale

Reaction score
does the truck still have the EGR system intact? If so try unplugging the EGR valve and see what it does.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Yes, the EGR valve looks newer. But I have another new one on the way. I will try disconnecting it. How is the EGR valve removed anyway? Is there a special tool?

-Michael

phale

Reaction score
two 8mm bolts and twist and pull. The o-rings and gunk make them a little hard to pull out. if the truck runs better with the egr valve unplugged there is a good chance that the egr cooler is cracked. By unplugging the valve you keep the coolant from going into the intake and putting out the fire.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
The EGR cooler is bad. I pulled the valve out and it had debris in it keeping it from closing all the way. I installed the new valve but didn't plug it in(to keep it shut), started the truck and let it run, held it at an elevated RPM for a few and it was running much better. Drive it down the road an after about 4 miles it was running fine.

-Michael

Latest posts

Members online