99 water in fuel light?

shorty2tall

Reaction score
Ok so I have a friend who is wanting to yet a diesel he's looking at a 7.3 99 he said it feels good but has water in fuel light. How bad is this is it common? I know cummins are known for it and will be fine but I've never really heard and psd's having the problem thanks!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Get up under the hood and open the drain valve on the fuel bowl. Drain it until fuel comes out of the drain hose. Shut the valve, shut the hood, and the light will be gone.

Things been sitting a long time or somebody put crappy fuel in it.

Tell him to keep several extra fuel filters on hand when he starts driving it so he can change them if they plug or the "water in fuel" light comes on.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks.
How often should u drain it if u don't have the light on? Every couple months?

Ive had to do that once in 265k miles....Id recommend you not make a habit of buying crappy fuel/water emulsions. Only reason Id say crack the valve twice a year is that at 250k I removed the fuel bowl to fix a leak and the drain valve wouldnt work because their was so much dirt in the bottom of the bowl. Might wanna keep it cleared out for that reason alone. I was putting 30k a year on mine so lots of fuel going through that bowl.

As for mileage and changing the filter, I dont know. Ive never had one plug. Had one instance where my fuel gelled. Althought the gelling took place in my 03 sd cc/sb f350 7.3. I put fuel in it from a bp truckstop and about half hour down the road my truck sputtered and died. I knew why!!:doh: I took the filter out and heated the bowl with a mapp torch then put some solvent I had in the toolbox in the tank(I dont recommend doing that) to help liquify the fuel. I dont know which part worked but I was back on the road. I stopped in the next town and put PS 9-1-1 in the tank and fuel bowl. Never bought fuel there again and always carry additive in any diesel I own.

My point? Change the filter two or three times a year and buy fuel at a place that sells GOOD diesel. How do you figure that out? Ask around, keep track of your mileage(indicator of poor fuel source), and figure out what your particular truck likes. My truck runs fine but uses A LOT more fuel when I run bio-diesel.

Good luck!

TyCorr

Reaction score
change the filter 2 or 3 times a year?! thats expensive, mines lucky if it gets a filter once a year. every 15-20k

If your truck is running most of the time everyday yet you arent running up the odometer you're still running fuel through the filter. You could have a plugged filter with 0miles on the truck. Fwiw.

After what I found in the bowl, moose, I change it a couple times anyway. Maybe three. Filters arent that much!! I get motorcraft ones for 19 now....

Just remember, when/if you do a rr you'll probably have to change TWO filters more often. The large filter and the 2 micron filter as well.

I dont ever feel bad about maintenance that needs to be done.

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
If your truck is running most of the time everyday yet you arent running up the odometer you're still running fuel through the filter. You could have a plugged filter with 0miles on the truck. Fwiw.

After what I found in the bowl, moose, I change it a couple times anyway. Maybe three. Filters arent that much!! I get motorcraft ones for 19 now....

Just remember, when/if you do a rr you'll probably have to change TWO filters more often. The large filter and the 2 micron filter as well.

I dont ever feel bad about maintenance that needs to be done.

:whs:
Two or three times a year might sound like a lot to some people. My rule is every third oil change I change the fuel filter. I buy them three at a time from Guzzle. http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=137&cat=18&group=6

Now that I have done my fuel system, I will change it a lot less (still have the bowl for now).

Zaairman

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks.
How often should u drain it if u don't have the light on? Every couple months?

I do it every time I change my fuel filter... which is every 15k. In 55k of owning a PSD, I've never seen my water in fuel light come on. But, I also always buy quality fuel from big stations.

Latest posts

Members online