OBS Pros and Cons?

shorty2tall

Reaction score
ok so i found a OBS Crewcab short bed im thinking about selling my truck for to got from under a payment.
so what are the pros and cons of a OBS? vs my 02?

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
OBS pros - there sweet looking.

OBS cons - if you want power, it costs a little more, there getting older so they break a little more and have some rust issues. If it's a 250 you will have an IFS.. And there not intercooled.

I'm a huge OBS fan my self but if your looking for power, they get expensive.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
OBS pros - there sweet looking.

OBS cons - if you want power, it costs a little more, there getting older so they break a little more and have some rust issues. If it's a 250 you will have an IFS.. And there not intercooled

I'm a huge OBS fan my self but if your looking for power, they get expensive.

ok ya the power in my truck is gunna cost too cuz of pmr's and i know a OBS will have forged rods. but to get 500HP id need an intercooler and turbo which id need a turbo for mine also plus trans for both.

ya i like OBS other then extended cabs but i dont really like any extended cabs lol

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
Mounting kits usually will come with all the piping just supply your own IC. I think the best bang for your buck is to get a mount and up-pipes from Jake@irate and fab your own IC pipes and what not. SD plenums work just fine.

davey99ps

Reaction score
I went from a built 99 to my 95 that I'm in the process of building. If your after hp, they're both about the same $ to build. Obs have mechanical fuel, but a stock SD fuel system needs to be upgraded too so thats a wash between the 2. The 4 biggest draw backs I can think of our 1st, if you get a 250 the frontend sucks an needs to be upgraded to a d60. 2nd, if your a manual kinda guy, they only had 5spds not 6. 3rd, no intercooler. 4th, looks, it seems ppl either love or hate the looks of the older trucks. I personally love mine because you don't see many built obs, I also love how my frontend has actual wheel bearings, instead of the damn unit bearings that give you no warning when theyre going bad until your stuck in the middle of Iowa with a bitched bearing in the middle of the night. Basically it comes down to preference. I like the looks of both SD's an obs, but by going with my obs it freed up more $ for me to put into the truck.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
I like the looks of both SD's an obs, but by going with my obs it freed up more $ for me to put into the truck.

ya i like both too but if i do go for this truck ill have on payment so ill have more money to spend on it. but is its not a 350 i probably stick with what i have?

there asking 6500 hows that price?
its a ccsb idk how many miles but its clean. how rare are the ccsb's?

davey99ps

Reaction score
Obs sb is pretty rare around here, I haven't seen very many at all. To swap in a d60 really isn't all that difficult, I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a truck if its in good shape. $6500 doesn't sound to bad if its in good shape.
Another thing I forgot, if your planning on building the truck another plus side to the obs is they're lighter. My cc/lb weighs 7k with me in it, an a 1/4 tank, an I could drop another few hundred lbs pretty easily

TyCorr

Reaction score
In the obs the cc/lb is the only way to go...the sb's look silly.

Id take one if I could find a sweet deal on it.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
went and looked at the truck it lopes it seems 240xxx on it and all stock steering wheel sounds like stuff inside it is lose. and drivers seat is torn to hell what yall think for price hes asking 6500
also has a 6" lift
what could cause the loping?

Last edited:

PStroked444

Reaction score
OBS trucks look awsome. There are tons of cheap little upgrades you can do too. Like using SD springs, etc. Turbo upgrades are common and fairly cheap. They are great trucks with lots of potential. I was originaly looking at an obs for my truck but came across a deal I could not turn down. You will be happy the truck. JMHO

OBS Boysel

Reaction score
Make sure you check the Core support. My truck only has 154,000 miles and already rusted out. The rough lobe could be a injector problem. Happened to me a couple of times.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Thats way to much, mine had more miles but was nicer and I got $5400. If you're going cclb the style alone is a $2000 mark-up, ccsb is right behind then ecsb. eclb being the cheapest around here but that because 99% were construction trucks. The only diffs in sd and obs if you're going for 500 is the intercooler and rods. tit for tat. Both will need upgraded fuel turbo and injectors so that's a wash. The only diff after is a 500 hp obs will outrun an sd because of weight. OBS's are easily 1000lbs lighter across the board. Chris's CCSB auto 4wd sd weighs 73?? without back seat tailgate and pass seat iirc. My ccsb 4wd auto was 6600 with me in it.

Then there's rust... but OBS's are far better looking and don't have those efeminate curves of the sd. LOL

Last edited:

shorty2tall

Reaction score
Where and what is a core support?
So would yall say pay 5000-5500 for it?
Idk if I'm going to do it I have like 30,000 on my engine but 233xxx on the rest and it has 240xxx on all of it lol the miles scare me and he's only had it for 6 months. His wife can't get in it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.