Looking at a 7.3

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I am looking at a 01 4x4.
153000 on it.
I have had a 6.0 and now a 6.4.
I dont know a thing about 7.3's.
What do I look for on the truck and engine?

Thanks.

444 ci

Reaction score
check for blowby with the engine off remove the oil filler cap. start the truck and place the cap upside down on the oil filler tube. if the cap gets blowed off its probably got too much blowby.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I would want to start it cold too. Run it up to operating temp and start it hot. Would be nice if you had a way to get it on a scanner and run a contribution test.

Other than that it is the obvious stuff, is it leaking and how does the transmission and suspension feel.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The guy is coming down on the price. THe dealership has had it for about 2 months. Started 15000 and now is 12500. Looks to be a clean truck in pictures but I have seen a lot of things look good in pictures.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
How to tell without tearing the engine apart?
Does it really matter if the truck has not been beat on.
This one still has the stock exhaust.

neverkickn

Reaction score
How to tell without tearing the engine apart?
Does it really matter if the truck has not been beat on.
This one still has the stock exhaust.

If you plan on modding it heavy then it might matter. I think there is a vin# number breakdown on here somewhere that should give you some insight.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
'01's if an automatic also have a known mechanical diode issue.

I agree with all of the comments thus far, I would pull the intake boot off and check the turbo for endplay, condition of the wheel.

rufushusky

Reaction score
Also take a peek at the oil pan...7.3 pans can rust out. I know it is not a huge issue in CA but you never know where the truck started its life.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Still debating on it. I have an 06 Tacoma I drive for work, 90,000 miles, getting tired of how small it is.
What are some things that go wrong with these trucks?
The truck has had the tranny re-built, stock exhaust, has an Edge (Will be removed if I buy it), level kit with 33's, MagHytech diff covers, new ball joints.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Right on. Thanks. From talking with the owner I dont know if 4x4 was used that much.
I knew about the cam positioning sensor. How hard are they to change.

DcMoore

Reaction score
Same as OBS... Sometimes they break off in there, but I'm betting it's had the recall done.. Not to scare you lol. Anyways their easy.

twelch3

Reaction score
If you buy it, you'll probably want to carru a spare CPS & 10mm 1/4" ratchet.Just in case.7.3's also build up alot of oil in the intercooler & intake boots from the crankcase vent system.I rerouted mine under the truck to atmosphere.

Big Bore

Reaction score
PMR's are only an issue if you are going to take it over 400HP (disclaimer:tuner dependent). Definitely take intake off and look at turbo fins for dusting and check the endplay. At idle when warmed up look for hazing. Check fuel filter to see if it's black with oil. Check all the fluids for contamination, coolant in oil, oil in coolant, fuel in oil or coolant, debris in tranny fluid, etc.. Also look to see if the PCM still has the plastic cover in place, its down by the parking brake. This will give some indication if it's been chipped or not.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.