6.0 or 7.3 old question but I'd like advice.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I've asked this b4 but it's still a suspect question. I'm getting another truck and seems like a lot of low milage 6.0's in very good shape are on the market for less than the 7.3's. Most of 7.3's I'm finding have had their guts pulled out and are slowly dying. Enough of you have made the switch that I'm starting to wonder why. Have the coolant/oil issues really been solved with aftermarket fixes? Have the 4 headstuds really been as reliable as 6? I'm not talking a race truck here, just a reliable DD to replace the 97'. I'm thinking coolant filter total manifold-off egr delete and HG's/studs. Then good tunes. My 2 post lift will be in soon so the work will be just parts and beer/pizza labor. The 05-newer auto should be good with this for towing?????

Here's what I'm looking at - example. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2581498851.html

Atsah

Reaction score
IMO, If you do the things to a 6.0 that you have outlined, minus adding power to it, I think you will have a solid truck.. I have had two of them and left them stock and they both have been good trucks..

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
IMO, If you do the things to a 6.0 that you have outlined, minus adding power to it, I think you will have a solid truck.. I have had two of them and left them stock and they both have been good trucks..

You think the tune is what kills them then?

Atsah

Reaction score

IMO, the 6.0 has some weak points that are exaggerated when you add power to it. I know there are people that get away with it, but I also know there are many more than that, that are not so lucky..

Atsah

Reaction score
What are the probs with the 03-04 6.0's?

Injectors are the only major problems I have had with the 03-04 truck's.. I think there are people that have had more problems than I with these year trucks.. I do think the 03 turbo is better than the rest along with the round EGR cooler as opposed to the square cooler..

TyCorr

Reaction score
Heres the problem with 6.0l's...The 05 and newer are good trucks out the gate...The 07 was the least warrantied vehicle that ford ever made. Id totally buy one. The 03 and 04's were given a bad rap right off the bat just like the 6.4's. Remove the emissions bs and stud the heads and they are FINE. I dont think a tuner is a bad addition. Its how you use it that matters. A moderate hp tune will be fine on the highway and interstates. Starting the truck up and putting her in the race tune is no good. That hard on every truck though.

7.3's dont like that either. Too much timing for larger tunes to be run with the factory increased cold-start timing.

Id say a mild or tow tune and studs/deletes, some GOOD syn oil and you HAVE GOT TO use a good fuel additive to keep the egr working properly provided you dont delete it. I think a rr fuel system is good on any diesel.

I honestly would love to get a black or white sc/lb 6L and stud it, delete the emissions bs and use it for my towbitsh. 6.4's are great trucks too but I cant stomach the prices they are getting still. Found an 08 KR with 56k in Roscoe, IL for 42k. Prices arent coming down.

The 6L trucks are cheaper than the 7.3's that you can find.

Atsah

Reaction score
I have had an 03 and an 05.. I personally have not had much in the way of trouble with either one of them.. The only thing I did to the 05 was a recall for the trans, I forget what it was but it was a major repair that cost me nothing.. I put 170K on the 03 and 165K on the 05.. Keep in mind I used them for there intended purpose.. I towed 8-12K a few times a week.. I drive them hard because in stock form that is what they like, if you don't, the viens in the turbo stick, and the EGR gets coaked with soot. Maintenance and driving the truck everyday is key.. They don't like to sit around doing nothing.. I know a few local guys that own construction company's and pull skid steers, dozers, small excavators, plow lots of snow and they don't complain about them..

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have had an 03 and an 05.. I personally have not had much in the way of trouble with either one of them.. The only thing I did to the 05 was a recall for the trans, I forget what it was but it was a major repair that cost me nothing.. I put 170K on the 03 and 165K on the 05.. Keep in mind I used them for there intended purpose.. I towed 8-12K a few times a week.. I drive them hard because is stock form that is what they like, if you don't, the viens in the turbo stick, and the EGR gets coaked with soot. Maintenance and driving the truck everyday is key.. They don't like to sit around doing nothing.. I know a few local guys that own construction company's and pull skid steers, dozers, small excavators, plow lots of snow and they don't complain about them..

Best advice you'll get!! This^

Like I said Id like a newer truck with the 6L. I just dont think Id buy another shortbed truck. I liek the cc but the sb kinda stinks, especially since I like having a weatherguard box. Makes a gooseneck/fifth wheel a pita...

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
I honestly would love to get a black or white sc/lb 6L and stud it, delete the emissions bs and use it for my towbitsh. 6.4's are great trucks too but I cant stomach the prices they are getting still. Found an 08 KR with 56k in Roscoe, IL for 42k. Prices arent coming down.

The 6L trucks are cheaper than the 7.3's that you can find.
There is an 04 sc lb 6oh right down the road from me. Has somewhere around 75k miles and asking 19-21k for it. Can't remember the numbers off the top of my head. AND it's a 6-speed. I want it.LOL

Atsah

Reaction score
I didnt know they ever made a 5r100, just the 5r110 torqshift.

Sorry I had to beings Im a 7.3 guy...

:toast:

Torqshift is what I assume he means.. Joe that is another benifit in the 6.0.. A 6.0 in stock form has a pretty stout transmission.. I think it will also handle a few more horses without any trouble..

genuineford

Reaction score
I am not going to lie Joe, I enjoyed towing with my 7.3 much more than 6.0. The 6.0'doesn't have the torque that the 7.3 does and just isn't as enjoyable to tow with. As a matter of fact I like towing with my obs 460 more than I do with the 6.0. Now that aside will the 6.0 tow? Yes. Have I found anything that it wont tow that my 7.3 would? No. You have to keep the rpm's up more so you end up towing out of OD a lot. Those are my experiences with our 6.0.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Torqshift is what I assume he means.. Joe that is another benifit in the 6.0.. A 6.0 in stock form has a pretty stout transmission.. I think it will also handle a few more horses without any trouble..

Yes, my bad. The higher HP with jusr tunes and the strength of the stock tranny are the primary reasons for me considering a 6.0.

I am not going to lie Joe, I enjoyed towing with my 7.3 much more than 6.0. The 6.0'doesn't have the torque that the 7.3 does and just isn't as enjoyable to tow with. As a matter of fact I like towing with my obs 460 more than I do with the 6.0. Now that aside will the 6.0 tow? Yes. Have I found anything that it wont tow that my 7.3 would? No. You have to keep the rpm's up more so you end up towing out of OD a lot. Those are my experiences with our 6.0.

Thanks Steve, funny you should bring that up... you're the 3rd person with knowledge and experience with both that's said that. And from the small amount of time spent in a 6.0 towing I can attest the 7.3 with just tunes is a much more efficient tower at least in od. I think this will help me make up my mind, seems for what I want to do (dd and tow) the 7.3 might be the better choice, and spend the stud and delete $ toward trans and injs.

genuineford

Reaction score
I must say that I very much enjoy DDing the 6.0. With just a tune it runs good and has plenty of power to make me happy driving around town. The small amount that I pull a trailer I don't mind it but I do not think that I would want one as a dedicated tow pig.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
:whs: Good info Steve, nice to hear it from someone with first hand experience! I've noticed similar results between the two as well with the little bit of experience I've had with some friends 6.0's. Most of the info in here is pretty spot on though, deleted, studded, and tuned the 6.0's aren't to bad at all. I will add that the injectors in those are a pain in the but if you ever have problems, I've seen bad BRAND NEW OEM ford 6.0 injectors for example.

Dave

Reaction score

Nope a clogged oil cooler is what kills them

What year was the 5R110 introduced?

Mid 03

Coming from another guy whos had both. Stock for stock the 7.3 has more low end grunt. But slap a tune on the 6.0 its a whole new ball game. Even more so now with my FICM tune. My 6.0 would out tow my 7.3 any day.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Coming from another guy whos had both. Stock for stock the 7.3 has more low end grunt. But slap a tune on the 6.0 its a whole new ball game. Even more so now with my FICM tune. My 6.0 would out tow my 7.3 any day.

HP per HP I have no doubt a tuned 6.0 will out pull a 7.3, the reason I went ahead and went back to the 7.3 was the rpm at which these make peak power. The 7.3 is more pleasant to pull with imo because of the linear HP. I never liked the down shifting at every hill, I want my pick-up to pull like my KW. Thats not a slight at a 6.0 but it needs the rpms to pull.

BTW this is the new ride.

IMAG0155.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.