stock limited slip is done

steele86

Reaction score
my clutch packs in my limited slip are done i called around and the best price i found 680 and those are ford parts then i call auto part stores and they said 400 for the parts those were house names .
should i go and have it done or should do it my self and get the really good set of clutch packs if they make such things

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I have a Detroit Locker in mine and love it. If you plan on throwing big tunes at the stock diff you'll always be dealing with the one wheel peel. The clutch pack springs can be shimmed to help w/ the torque but it's a matter of time till the clutches cook and your right back in same boat. The tru trac will give you a true limited slip diff if that's what you want to run and it won't wear out. I've seen them for around $600 so for a couple hundred more dollars...it behind you. Good luck

Arisley

Reaction score
I replaced my spiders, the spider cross, the side gears and the clutch packs for less than 300 hundred bucks. New and improved Spicer parts. Simple to do yourself, just do not get the spacers mixed up.

Snake

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the TruTrac is not a locker per se. It's more of a limited slip / posi.

But it's your money, time, and effort. And ultimately your decision.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
so no one has any other ideas besides going with a locker

Like they said, tru-trac is a limited-slip. This should help explain the diff...
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limited-slip-lockers-differentials.htm

IMHO, the biggest disadvantage of the Detriot Locker is the extra 'slack' it creates in the driveline. I can live with locking/unlocking stuff, but that extra jerk when the TC is locked and you are rolling along on level ground at a constant speed is annoying. After spending some time in a PSD with a Detroit, I would only choose this option if I had to have the traction - iow's a lot of off-road use. (I'll just keep my spooled-up 'yota rockcrawler for the hard-core off-road use!!:thumbsup:)

The truth is, for pavement use - the LSD is all we really need. If both tires have similar traction, they will both turn with a tight LSD. However, if ya put one on the pavement and one in the mud - the one in the mud can spin and the other not move... The 'locker' shines for this scenario, since both tires will spin no matter what.

I need to do something with the X's LSD, the 'one-wheel-peel' is just not acceptable!! Lol.

Arisley, are you happy with the rebuilt stocker? Is there a way to make it 'tighter' than stock? How many miles since ya rebuilt it?

Arisley

Reaction score
Arisley, are you happy with the rebuilt stocker? Is there a way to make it 'tighter' than stock? How many miles since ya rebuilt it?

Yeah, real happy with it. I stacked the clutches like they were designed to be rather than how Ford stacks them. Alternating steel and friction. It made it a lot tighter. Got probably close to 30K since the rebuild.

Latest posts

Members online