Need Confirmation of Bad Starter

DcMoore

Reaction score
The positive wire on the starter is making continuity with the body of the starter and any other ground.

Also when the big wire and the small wire are connected to the starter I achieve continuity between the two.

Lastly the starter test out perfect on the bench but I am getting a short as stated above....

My truck turned into Optimus Prime jr. and started itself into the back of my wifes car.....

It seems to me that I have a bad starter but just need some confirmation!

Atsah

Reaction score
That's an interesting one.. I wonder if your battery's are the culprit.. Did you take a meter to them to make sure there not shorted? :shrug:

DcMoore

Reaction score
I didn't see if they were shorted but their reading fine.. Also I did this test with the wires disconnected.

Atsah

Reaction score
I didn't see if they were shorted but their reading fine.. Also I did this test with the wires disconnected.

Oh, I would say you have a short between the terminals on the starter.. That would be my guess..

DcMoore

Reaction score
Solenoid is brand new... I'm just not getting it because it tested fine 4 times at O'Reillys and didn't short their machine out.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
The positive wire on the starter is making continuity with the body of the starter and any other ground.

Also when the big wire and the small wire are connected to the starter I achieve continuity between the two.

Lastly the starter test out perfect on the bench but I am getting a short as stated above....

My truck turned into Optimus Prime jr. and started itself into the back of my wifes car.....

It seems to me that I have a bad starter but just need some confirmation!

You said continuity, did you mean continuity? As in checked with an ohmmeter?
If so, the purple wire is shorted to power.

Purple wire should only have voltage to it with the key in the crank position. Otherwise, it's nothing more than a piece of wire sitting on a bench. Open switch on either end (starter solenoid disengaged and ignition switch open).

DcMoore

Reaction score
Yes I checked it with an ohm meter.. What is this purple wire you speak of? The little wire that closes the solenoids?

Latest posts

Members online