Thinking About My Build

redneckabbott

Reaction score
I'm wanting to start making more power soon. I want power for towing though, not racing. I wouldn't mind showing my cummins buddies what a 7.3 can do occasionally as well. My plan was stage 1s, e-fuel, intercooler, and upgraded hpop. I keep reading how hybrids are easy to tune and can be tuned to match any setup. I'm thinking now that's the route I should go. I'd like to stay on stock studs, springs, pushrods, etc. so I guess that shouldn't be a problem as long as I tell my tuner, correct? Then maybe later I'll upgrade my valvetrain. Turbo would eventually be upgraded as well. I rarely tow but the last time I towed a skid steer, I came to a mild hill and it pulled me down pretty bad. I got down to 3rd gear and it was still pulling me down. If it wasn't for that, I would honestly be ok with my stock power. Seems like most people start with 1s then upgrade later. Diesel Power's article is what got me thinking about hybrids, I'm not sure which size hybrids I should go with
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1108dp_serious_73l_power_stroke_upgrades/index.html

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
I did 1s, should have went with hybrids. They take less oil to run and can be tuned down if you want. I am happy with what i got now, I am gonna run a 38r on 1s and upgrade the nozzles. I haven't hooked mine to a trailer with the current setup, but I imagine it will do pretty good. But as it goes I wanna go bigger, a lot bigger.

PS-I have a set of full force 238 hybrids for sale, recently refreshed, haven't even been out of the packaging since I got them back. $2000 obo

1badpsd

Reaction score
Hybrids use around the same oil as a set of 2's iirc though they use less oil to a equal size A code if your wanting pulling power id do 2's and a d-66 or superduty setup with a 38r that would be a solid 400+ hp setup with other mods your planning

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i have stage ones and gross 24000 alot and have no problems i mean more would be fun but its enought for me and pulls our trailer just fine if anything i am goin to step down from 3.55's to 3.73's for my next mod

redneckabbott

Reaction score
Well if it helps, I hope to one day step up to 38" michelin xmls on my 16s and later get 20s with 40" michelins. I want to have another truck before then that can take over work duties. So if anything I'll be stepping up from 4.10 to 4.56. I may just do 1s, it'll be cheaper and I think i'll be satisfied with them, but hybrids are very tempting!

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Well if it helps, I hope to one day step up to 38" michelin xmls on my 16s and later get 20s with 40" michelins. I want to have another truck before then that can take over work duties. So if anything I'll be stepping up from 4.10 to 4.56. I may just do 1s, it'll be cheaper and I think i'll be satisfied with them, but hybrids are very tempting!
Be sure to check out Hypermax's web site, their stage 1's were on sale a while back when I got mine.

Reubine

Reaction score
I'm wanting to start making more power soon. I want power for towing though, not racing. I wouldn't mind showing my cummins buddies what a 7.3 can do occasionally as well. My plan was stage 1s, e-fuel, intercooler, and upgraded hpop. I keep reading how hybrids are easy to tune and can be tuned to match any setup. I'm thinking now that's the route I should go. I'd like to stay on stock studs, springs, pushrods, etc. so I guess that shouldn't be a problem as long as I tell my tuner, correct? Then maybe later I'll upgrade my valvetrain. Turbo would eventually be upgraded as well. I rarely tow but the last time I towed a skid steer, I came to a mild hill and it pulled me down pretty bad. I got down to 3rd gear and it was still pulling me down. If it wasn't for that, I would honestly be ok with my stock power. Seems like most people start with 1s then upgrade later. Diesel Power's article is what got me thinking about hybrids, I'm not sure which size hybrids I should go with
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1108dp_serious_73l_power_stroke_upgrades/index.html

I think you are on the right track with going with stage 1's. They are a great upgrade for these trucks and it really wakes them up. One thing you will probably need to think about is a turbo upgrade if you do tow quite a bit. I went through 3 stock turbo's all within 6 months. Good-luck with your purchase. Oh and get them through Swamps, they will get you straightened out.

redneckabbott

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure every shop has their followers. I've always loved the work coming out of beans shop so I plan on ordering from them.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
As nice as my truck runs with the stage 1s if you have the extra cash go with the hybrid injectors... I am no injector wizard by any means but if you can have a bigger injector turned down to make the same power as stage 1s not only would you have something to grow on but it seems like the injectors would be happier as well since they would have to be worked as hard to make the same amount of power

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.