coolant in CCV

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
Hey guys got a little issue goin on with my truck, My coolant level has been dropping slowly.. probably emptys the degas bottle every 3 weeks with me driving everyday, I dont think its the headgaskets because I can pull a half mile long, steep freeway grade at full throttle and 100mph and not puke a drop of coolant on any of my spartan race tunes, but anyway like the title said I have my CCV dumping out a hose under my truck, there is definitely coolant in the hose and it has been dripping slightly from the build up, also because of the coolant it seems like the CCV smoke might be a little excessive. also the truck is NOT making oil, any ideas?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
U sure its coolant and not just condensation? It would be pretty hard to get anything liquid past the factory ccv

eric.davis

Reaction score
what dustin said. Mine drips a little bit and it's not oil. take a video of it so us that have ccv's can compare from what you have. I would think it's just a condensation build up.

as far as your coolant dropping you might have a slow leak somewhere in your coolant system. I definitely wouldn't put it past that.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
My reasoning behind what i said is because when i drilled out the ccv on my truck i kinda learned about how it works. There is just a couple holes in the top of the ccv that feed a seperate chamber, there is a small line on the back that if i remember right goes back to the other valve cover, i think thats for any liquid to fall back down and stay in the oil system, the left over vapor gets pushed out the vent, so like i said its almost impossible for the ccv to have coolant in it unless its WAY bad, were talking like valve covers full of gunk or something.

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
its not making oil im pretty damn sure of it, but Im gonna throw an oil change at her just to be safe, it may be condensation but there is alot of sludge inside the hose and it has the consistency of glycol aka coolant, its doesnt smell like cooland but maybe thats just because its masked by the smell of oil

Dzchey21

Reaction score
when water mixes with oil it will kinda look like coolant no matter what, i would be curious to see what you find

Personally what i would do is just pull the oil filler neck/ccv off the valve cover and take a peek in the valve cover and see if there is any sludge in there.

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
Just checked, no sludge under the ccv/ valve cover. Whats the story on the blow by and fumes that come outa the ccv? seems to produce quite abit of smoke..its not excessive and its not enough to lift the cap when you just set it on. these 6.4s seem to make more crank case gas then other motors

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Then your good as far as oil/water mixing i would say.

All engines produce a good amount of vapor out of the ccv honestly, some are just routed where you cant see. Warm engine makes more smoke. Nothing to worry about at this point i think.

Crank case pressure comes from compression past the springs, boost ect. 6.4s make damn near 1psi of boost at an idle so you can imagine how much more that adds to the crank case

Also as turbos wear you can get boost pressure past the seals that will start to push boost pressure into the oil drain side of the turbo. Cat engines now have a crank case pressure sensor and alot of times what fixes them is new turbos, NOT that they were ever bad really just the new stuff has sensors in places they shouldnt IMHO

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
Thats what Im thinkin ring gap is set differently in turbo engines, and the 6.4 being pretty high boosting even stock is probably setup with a little more wiggle room and hence maybe a little more ccv gas..thats my theory anyway

Danbonzo

Reaction score
If your emptying a full degas bottle of coolant every 3 wks you got something going on. Thats got to be about .5 to 1 gal. and if you aren't leaking it then your consuming it. If its the latter it would most likely be a the coating on a HG has worn and has formed a channel directly to coolant passage. That would explain why you don't puke and it takes a few weeks for level to drop because technically your head gasket isn't blown but its enough to loose seal. Hope not but the earlier gaskets are known to do exactly that.

Latest posts

Members online