recon head light bulbs

chappy

Reaction score
Well I am throwing in some harley 05 headlights in my 04. I have always ran sylvania silver star ultras and I thought I would check to see what else was available. I was looking and see recon has xenon bulbs and wondered if anyone ran them. I was thinking the diamond whites because I'm not a big fan of the real blue ones. How do they compare? They are actually cheaper then the silverstars also.

chappy

Reaction score
Yeh I just don't want to spend that much. $34 is a lot better then a couple hundred. Plus I don't want to modify my housing at all . I just need good bulbs and I will be happy.

Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score
For just headlights- even with retro, you will be less than 200 bucks, and the bulbs literally lock in just like the stock bulb. Zero modifying. Retro Solutions is a vendor here now too...

chappy

Reaction score
Well then I guess I will go that route then. For some reason I thought they were high dollar but I will check out retosolutions. I guess i thought you had to modify the housing so thanks for setting me straight. By the time i got done buying a dfuser harness and good bulbs I could buy a hid kit so sounds good to me .

jwlandry

Reaction score
If you decide to go with the dfuser harness let me know. i have one i just took off my truck to install my HIDs.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Well then I guess I will go that route then. For some reason I thought they were high dollar but I will check out retosolutions. I guess i thought you had to modify the housing so thanks for setting me straight. By the time i got done buying a dfuser harness and good bulbs I could buy a hid kit so sounds good to me .

No its all plug and play

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had the recon bulbs and they didn't last 4 mos.

I have a set of their super white cab lights. I had trouble with keeping bulbs in them. What looks worse then a set of old amber school bus lights? A set of 'modern' bright white ones that constantly has one burned out. They said "bulbs will burn out." I found it odd that in the year I ran them I replace six of their fancy led's. I bought a ten pack of the bulbs for my stockers and I have five left after ten years of service.

I know guy for rockford construction that has a superduty with ALL his lights changed to Recon leds and they all strobe. He said the hardest part of his job is changing led's in his truck.

I wish they'd work better cause their stuff looks nice!

I too use the sylvania replacement bulbs that are bright white in my headlights and Im happy.

jwlandry

Reaction score
I have a set of their super white cab lights. I had trouble with keeping bulbs in them. What looks worse then a set of old amber school bus lights? A set of 'modern' bright white ones that constantly has one burned out. They said "bulbs will burn out." I found it odd that in the year I ran them I replace six of their fancy led's. I bought a ten pack of the bulbs for my stockers and I have five left after ten years of service.

I know guy for rockford construction that has a superduty with ALL his lights changed to Recon leds and they all strobe. He said the hardest part of his job is changing led's in his truck.

I wish they'd work better cause their stuff looks nice!

I too use the sylvania replacement bulbs that are bright white in my headlights and Im happy.

Fwiw. Retro solutions has bulbs for just about anything. LED too.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i have ran soo many different bulbs, trueviews, phillips clear visions, silverstars

nothing compares to HIDs and i won't ever go back to any other bulbs

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I think the HELLA/Optilux 80/100watt bulbs ($25/pr or less) and a relay harness in the '02-'04 lenses put out more usable light than the Retro's - even in '05 lenses. They are about 4000k and WHITE and since the factory optics are retained, they are NOT annoying to other drivers. I just replaced my first set of bulbs after 100k miles.

If ya do the '05 lenses, save yourself the aggravation of screwing with the POS 9008/H13 bulbs and their dinky little pigtail pins. I guess they finally came out with ceramic pigtails to 'bandaid' this crappy design, so if ya wanna use these and xenon bulbs go ahead and get the ceramic!

My F350 has true dual-beam HID's I bought from electrosport - no longer available... :fustrate: They have (2) bulbs on each capsule and the angle of the bulbs helps mimic the factory-designed optics. Low beam is still comparable to the 80watt lows in the '04 lenses - but high beam is 35watt x 4 - 140watts of 5000k HID is nothing short of impressive. I wish someone would figure out where to get these, they are well worth what I paid for them. Vendors???

bruce

Reaction score
so the hid's for like an 01 will fit in the hole (like where the bulb is inserted) of 05-07 headlights?

jwlandry

Reaction score
No. Totally different bulb.

Retro solutions makes a kit that uses the 05 bulb and has the 01 plug on it. It's an option you pick when you order the lights.

H13 bulb w 9007 harness.

Latest posts

Members online