unused motor oil

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Is it possible to run this in some combination with d2 or rug with at least marginal results? Anyone tried it? I've found myself with a good amount of unused cheapo motor oil and 2 cycle oil. I know the 2 cycle will pose no problem but it's the 30w I'm worried about. I've also got about a gallon of compressor oil sitting on the shelf I want to get rid of.

If you're wondering why I don't just use it all up in a lawnmower, weedeater, chainsaw, or compressor, it's because I'm an oil dealer and have began using those products on everything I own. Therefore I'm left with a decent amount of various oils and I'm thinking it would be nice to use them as fuel if possible. What do you guys think?

Rustin

Reaction score
We have some guys running the stuff without any problems, that we know of yet. I'm not gonna tell you not to run it, But I'm not saying it's ok either. Make sure that you filter your oil the best way possible! Used motor oil holds supper tiny metal particles. I would advise using a centrifuge if possible. It will burn.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
We have some guys running the stuff without any problems, that we know of yet. I'm not gonna tell you not to run it, But I'm not saying it's ok either. Make sure that you filter your oil the best way possible! Used motor oil holds supper tiny metal particles. I would advise using a centrifuge if possible. It will burn.

But if it's not been ran in an engine yet, would there be any need to filter or strain it?

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Make sure it's NOT synthetic oil in any way shape or form.

I'm assuming the additives and base stocks don't make for decent combustion? Does this apply to used synthetic oils too when talking about wmo setups?

glamis

Reaction score
??? really ??
read the stickey in this section
virgin oil ?? mix with rug and go,no filtration needed

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
??? really ??
read the stickey in this section
virgin oil ?? mix with rug and go,no filtration needed

I did read most of it but it was quite late last night when I did. Comprehension probably wasn't anywhere near satisfactory.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is it possible to run this in some combination with d2 or rug with at least marginal results? Anyone tried it? I've found myself with a good amount of unused cheapo motor oil and 2 cycle oil. I know the 2 cycle will pose no problem but it's the 30w I'm worried about. I've also got about a gallon of compressor oil sitting on the shelf I want to get rid of.

If you're wondering why I don't just use it all up in a lawnmower, weedeater, chainsaw, or compressor, it's because I'm an oil dealer and have began using those products on everything I own. Therefore I'm left with a decent amount of various oils and I'm thinking it would be nice to use them as fuel if possible. What do you guys think?

Rustin? Why? Why would he need to filter, centrifuge or otherwise clean up clean oil?

COD-How much oil do you have? Gallons? QTS? If you've got more than 50 gals Id recommend using it at a ratio of 50/50 with #2. Nothing else needed. What Ive found, in my truck mind you, is that more than 50% oil, clean or wmo, and atf is that my truck smells like a gasser that burns oil. Additionally I have found that if the truck is left to idle and the egt's drop there will be a visible haze from the exhaust. This, again, in my experience, continues until the egts come back up during normal driving. Other than that, it just means that you'll use half as much fuel!!! If it gets down below freezing change the ratio to 75/25 in favor of the #2.

Im not sure what the outcome would be but I always wondered if you could stay at 50/50 if you used #1 in colder weather.

I dipped my toes into burning new oil with no purpose,wmo, and atf. Im not an expert but just barely familiar. I do have a whole semi trailer full of 55gal drums of archer oil that my friends dad never sold and they dont want to use it for anything. I could mix it with my fuel but Im not sure Ill do it.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
COD-How much oil do you have? Gallons? QTS? If you've got more than 50 gals Id recommend using it at a ratio of 50/50 with #2. Nothing else needed. What Ive found, in my truck mind you, is that more than 50% oil, clean or wmo, and atf is that my truck smells like a gasser that burns oil. Additionally I have found that if the truck is left to idle and the egt's drop there will be a visible haze from the exhaust. This, again, in my experience, continues until the egts come back up during normal driving. Other than that, it just means that you'll use half as much fuel!!! If it gets down below freezing change the ratio to 75/25 in favor of the #2.

Im not sure what the outcome would be but I always wondered if you could stay at 50/50 if you used #1 in colder weather.

I dipped my toes into burning new oil with no purpose,wmo, and atf. Im not an expert but just barely familiar. I do have a whole semi trailer full of 55gal drums of archer oil that my friends dad never sold and they dont want to use it for anything. I could mix it with my fuel but Im not sure Ill do it.

Good info, thank you. At the moment I have about 20 gallons of 30w motor oil, 5 gal of 2 cycle, and a buddy of mine is bringing me about 40 gallons of mercon V atf. All unused and I figure it would be nice to use it up as fuel rather than just taking it to the recycling station in town. I figured I could at least run a couple gallons per tank if anything but I may just try 50/50.

What do you think about the compressor oil? I'm doing a bit of research about what's really different about it other than viscosity and possibly a couple less additives. I may possibly be able to get 10-20 gal of it for free and if I can use up this stuff that way, it would be pretty cool.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good info, thank you. At the moment I have about 20 gallons of 30w motor oil, 5 gal of 2 cycle, and a buddy of mine is bringing me about 40 gallons of mercon V atf. All unused and I figure it would be nice to use it up as fuel rather than just taking it to the recycling station in town. I figured I could at least run a couple gallons per tank if anything but I may just try 50/50.

What do you think about the compressor oil? I'm doing a bit of research about what's really different about it other than viscosity and possibly a couple less additives. I may possibly be able to get 10-20 gal of it for free and if I can use up this stuff that way, it would be pretty cool.

The reason Id say 50/50 is the oil is thicker than diesel and may be harder on the inj's. Ive heard that on here anyway. I know people that run the oil straight. But they dont care about ruining inj's as far as I know. Which is kinda backwards to me.

The compressor oil I dont know anything about. Compare it to motor oils of known viscosity/weight. If its similar and a dyno based oil, burn it!

Here's a tidbit of information you may find interesting. Last summer I was running wmo most of the time @50/50. I developed a fuel leak and parked the truck as I didnt have time to get at it and didnt wanna smell/drip fuel everywhere I went. It was around Nov when I parked it. Months passed, fast forward to January, I fixed the leak and had to soak the fuel bowl lid gasket in hot water to get the lid to seal. It was that cold!! Single digits. The fuel/oil mix was black as coal but I added a little antigel previously(just dumped it into the tank, 3/4 full) and the stuff was FINE!! Not any thicker than it was in 90* weather. I believe this flies in the face of conventional wisdom on wmo.

Its really just as simple as dumping oil in your fuel tank and then adding diesel. Ive heard people say that they added the oil to half or three quarters full tanks of diesel and it promptly sank and killed the motor:shrug: Doesnt sound plausible though cuz Ive ran on MUCH HEAVIER concentrations than that. Nearing 100%.

All Ive got buddy!:D

evo45

Reaction score
Make sure it's NOT synthetic oil in any way shape or form.

Why do you say NO synthetic? I have been running a combination of wmo's with alot of synthetic in it and I have had no problems with it. They all burn.

evo45

Reaction score
I dont cut my fuel with diesel tho, I am running w85 with 15% rug in it. When I first started running wmo I wasnt adding enough rug and I was having a hard time keeping my fass fuel pump primed even with a fuel sump. It was just too thick for the pump to pick up. Once I got past the fear of adding too much rug, I am now running 15-18% rug and havent had any problems with the fass priming. The truck runs great! I wish I had a better supply of oil, I would have the whole family running diesel trucks.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The reason Id say 50/50 is the oil is thicker than diesel and may be harder on the inj's. Ive heard that on here anyway. I know people that run the oil straight. But they dont care about ruining inj's as far as I know. Which is kinda backwards to me.

The compressor oil I dont know anything about. Compare it to motor oils of known viscosity/weight. If its similar and a dyno based oil, burn it!

Here's a tidbit of information you may find interesting. Last summer I was running wmo most of the time @50/50. I developed a fuel leak and parked the truck as I didnt have time to get at it and didnt wanna smell/drip fuel everywhere I went. It was around Nov when I parked it. Months passed, fast forward to January, I fixed the leak and had to soak the fuel bowl lid gasket in hot water to get the lid to seal. It was that cold!! Single digits. The fuel/oil mix was black as coal but I added a little antigel previously(just dumped it into the tank, 3/4 full) and the stuff was FINE!! Not any thicker than it was in 90* weather. I believe this flies in the face of conventional wisdom on wmo.

Its really just as simple as dumping oil in your fuel tank and then adding diesel. Ive heard people say that they added the oil to half or three quarters full tanks of diesel and it promptly sank and killed the motor:shrug: Doesnt sound plausible though cuz Ive ran on MUCH HEAVIER concentrations than that. Nearing 100%.

All Ive got buddy!:D

I used to add cheapo 2 cycle and atf in small amounts to my tank but I got tired of buying it. I'm not sure I'll ever want to get in the habit of buying gasoline to mix with wmo. I'd much rather only mix with d2 since I have 3 vehicles that run on it anyway. That or run straight wmo and watf blends. I figure at least one of my obs trucks can be a guinea pig for a while and I'll see what kind of results I get.

I know a guy in in the next town that is a diesel mechanic and does mostly fleet work. He has a few psd trucks, one of which (97 7.3) is ran entirely on any waste oil or atf he acquires at his shop. He's been running it that way for about 5 years now. He only strains it for larger debris and then has 2 water separators and 2 fuel filters on the truck. Kind of a weird way to go about it but the truck runs great and has been ran on waste oil blends (nothing measured) for a long time. He's a bit more casual about it than some people but I still find the concept pretty interesting.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Why do you say NO synthetic? I have been running a combination of wmo's with alot of synthetic in it and I have had no problems with it. They all burn.

This is something I'd like to hear more about too. I tend to change a lot of oil around here and most of it is full synth. I could end up with a good amount of it and being able to use it as fuel would actually be an easier way to get rid of it than having to drive a good distance and pay to recycle bulk amounts.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I used to add cheapo 2 cycle and atf in small amounts to my tank but I got tired of buying it. I'm not sure I'll ever want to get in the habit of buying gasoline to mix with wmo. I'd much rather only mix with d2 since I have 3 vehicles that run on it anyway. That or run straight wmo and watf blends. I figure at least one of my obs trucks can be a guinea pig for a while and I'll see what kind of results I get.

I know a guy in in the next town that is a diesel mechanic and does mostly fleet work. He has a few psd trucks, one of which (97 7.3) is ran entirely on any waste oil or atf he acquires at his shop. He's been running it that way for about 5 years now. He only strains it for larger debris and then has 2 water separators and 2 fuel filters on the truck. Kind of a weird way to go about it but the truck runs great and has been ran on waste oil blends (nothing measured) for a long time. He's a bit more casual about it than some people but I still find the concept pretty interesting.

I suppose running a stock truck and beefing up the filtration regimen like you said would suffice. The truck is probably just driven and not hotrodded so it all works out.

I just got tired of the amount of time I was spending. I had supplies but time I did not.

I am NOT putting rug(im guessing you guys mean reg unld gasoline?) in my tank just to run oil. Why is that better than just using #2?

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I suppose running a stock truck and beefing up the filtration regimen like you said would suffice. The truck is probably just driven and not hotrodded so it all works out.

I just got tired of the amount of time I was spending. I had supplies but time I did not.

I am NOT putting rug(im guessing you guys mean reg unld gasoline?) in my tank just to run oil. Why is that better than just using #2?

Nah, that guy doesn't have any stock vehicles. The obs in question has electric fuel, dual hpops, 250/200's, h2e, built bottom end, etc. He says it's his "parts running and ranch truck". Seeing how he drives it is what makes me wonder how it still works running on barely filtered wmo. I generally consider myself a person with extraordinarily bad luck so I wouldn't bother trying to copy what he has done.

evo45

Reaction score

If you use #2 you have to add alot more to get to the same viscosity as using 15-18% rug. At first when I was putting rug (regular unleaded gasoline) into my diesel truck I thought I was crazy but it has been working for over 8500 miles. I started with w85 on April 30 and have added some diesel since then but 90% of those miles were on w85. Mainly I have had to add diesel because I didnt have enough oil to add more w85 or I was too far away to make it back to the shop to fill up on w85.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im comfortable with you doing it. Im probably not going to.

Ill just buy the damn #2....

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If you use #2 you have to add alot more to get to the same viscosity as using 15-18% rug. At first when I was putting rug (regular unleaded gasoline) into my diesel truck I thought I was crazy but it has been working for over 8500 miles. I started with w85 on April 30 and have added some diesel since then but 90% of those miles were on w85. Mainly I have had to add diesel because I didnt have enough oil to add more w85 or I was too far away to make it back to the shop to fill up on w85.

So from what you're saying, if I only wanted to run something like 50/50 then I could just stick with d2 instead of rug? I would really only be doing this to get rid of used oil that I always seem to accumulate. The same going for unused oil as well. I just want to use it up in some way or another and running it in my truck is a very interesting solution. Buying less fuel would just be a bonus to all of it.

Latest posts

Members online