BAD NEWS on engine tick... TSB

6L strokin

Reaction score
Might want this to be a sticky as a lot are starting to post about this issue after getting some miles racked up...

Talked to my buddy that's a diesel mechanic yesterday at ford and he did some research on the engine tick... Found some tsb on it but the bad news.... It's normal! In a nutshell it's the breaking in/wear of the engine internals and it's present in all diesels (7.0,6.0,etc) however the new trucks are so quiet you can actually hear the breaking in "tick"....

Here's the tsb he emailed to me

6.7L DIESEL—TICK/TAP NOISE AT IDLE TSB 10-19-2
FORD:
2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550
ISSUE Dealers should not attempt to compare any
Some 6.7L diesel equipped vehicles may exhibit a customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other
ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle
often referred to as Typewriter Noise because of its to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect
similarity to the sound of random typing on a conclusion that the vehicle has a condition.
mechanical typewriter. Customers may report that Typewriter Noise is a normal operating
when near a building, wall or drive through window, characteristic of this diesel engine. This noise has
that this noise can be heard from inside the cab. no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not
attempt repairs to eliminate this noise. This noise is
ACTION characteristic of the 6.7L diesel engine and will
Follow the Service Information to inform the typically cease or diminish significantly within the oil
customer of the characteristic. change maintenance interval.
SERVICE INFORMATION Refer to vehicle Owner Guides and Maintenance
Guides for approved engine oil viscosities and
The relationship between the oil film, crankshaft usage information. Use of different oil viscosities will
journals, bearing inserts and engine cylinder block not eliminate this noise and is not recommended.
produces a sound that is heard as a ticking noise. Customers should be informed that these conditions
The overall noise reduction in engines produced do not affect engine durability and no repairs are
today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it necessary.
was present in prior model year vehicles, but
masked by other noises in the past. Because the WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only - Not
6.7L diesel engine includes a number of design Warrantable
improvements to reduce diesel engine noise,
Typewriter Noise can be more noticeable than on
previous products. Typewriter Noise is not
detrimental to engine function or durability. Other
manufacturers of diesel engines have reported the
presence of this condition for a number of years.
Build tolerance stack-up from engine to engine
contributes to perceived differences in noise
intensity. When engine temperatures reach 150 °F
(65 °C) or higher, (from engine idle up to
approximately 1700 RPM’s), this noise can typically
be heard at the front wheel well and is often
isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan
area.
#

JMart

Reaction score
Its the same thing the 6.4's went through.

Although my tick went away after Ford replaced my cracked water pump.

phale

Reaction score
The lb7 duramax had the same issue. that is why they dropped the oil pressure with the LLY. I have had some in the shop that sound like they are coming apart and the owners say they always sounded like that and in others it is barely noticeable. It is a diesel after all.

6L strokin

Reaction score
Lol ya I mean it's good it doesn't mean it's gonna grenade ita just really annoying and mo way to get rid of it... You can only hear it outside the truck tho not from inside at all

phale

Reaction score
I bet they will do something with the oil film thickness on main/rod bearings to minimize it on future models.

Zmann

Reaction score
Why would you be pissed? If it is a normal operating sound of the engine whats the big deal?
It's annoying just like Chebby had the piston slap noise

plus the fact the original oil had an extra additive to mast the sound is deceitful IMHO so while it may not be a harmful situation paying that much for an irritating noise to rear up after the first oil change isn't cool

RAN '07

Reaction score
I just did my 3rd oil change this morning, and got this tick. It's definitely annoying, but if this is my biggest problem I can live with it. I wonder if a full synthetic oil would help? I've been using motorcraft oil & filter, but I might try something else next time.

6L strokin

Reaction score
I just did my 3rd oil change this morning, and got this tick. It's definitely annoying, but if this is my biggest problem I can live with it. I wonder if a full synthetic oil would help? I've been using motorcraft oil & filter, but I might try something else next time.

well im running revX and it didnt help but apparanty its actually related to the high pressure fuel pump somehow so oil wouldnt matter...?!

How annoying could it possibly be?

You guys have never owned a 7.3 have you?

LOL no but my dad and some friends do.... they are just loud, its not a quiet engine with what sounds similar to a header bolt exhaust leak on a 99-03 F150 lol

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
well im running revX and it didnt help but apparanty its actually related to the high pressure fuel pump somehow so oil wouldnt matter...?!

LOL no but my dad and some friends do.... they are just loud, its not a quiet engine with what sounds similar to a header bolt exhaust leak on a 99-03 F150 lol

Yeah i hear ya. I can tolerate the rattle from a 7.3 but my vacuum pump has its own rattle. It to Pisses me off.