Thinking I have axle wrap...badly

Cknox121

Reaction score
So I bought a gooseneck trailer with a dump container. Grosses about 5k by itself

After I hooked up and started driving, I would get violent shaking under acceleration, and would have to let out of the pedal for it to stop. Only way I could get it to not do it was with very very light acceleration from a stop. Even cruising, say 50, start to climb a hill and adjust throttle to maintain speed it would start doing it again. Anything over 1/2 throttle and it would go away. Could this be a trans issue or just the axle? Best way I can describe it is, sit in a chair, have someone behind you grab it and shake it back and forth.

Would traction bars fix this? Truck is stock height with 35's.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRice589

Reaction score
That's what mine did. If it does it let off and press the pedal harde if it goes away at soft or heavy throttle inputs it's axle wrap.

Cknox121

Reaction score
That's what mine did. If it does it let off and press the pedal harde if it goes away at soft or heavy throttle inputs it's axle wrap.

Same thing mine does... So wtf do people who tow heavy do with a stock truck?? Like damn... I didn't think it would be that noticeable.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Loaded a new tune to rule out the trans. Still does it.

Im thinking either traction bars or a bad u joint (least possible).

Cant I just wiggle the shaft to see if there is play in the joints?>

WHat about a bad carrier bearing? could this cause the issue?

Again, its like sitting in a chair and some one shaking it. Not like a vibration, but a shake. Almost like wheel hop kinda.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Or would bags be better? Trailer squats the truck maybe 1-2".

ncollins64

Reaction score
I put new driveshaft in and new u joints and mine still did exactly what your talking about. Put some goods bars on and fixed the issue. Not saying that's your issues but that's what fixed mine. I reccommend bags to anyone that tows.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I put new driveshaft in and new u joints and mine still did exactly what your talking about. Put some goods bars on and fixed the issue. Not saying that's your issues but that's what fixed mine. I reccommend bags to anyone that tows.

That's good to hear! I am thinking that the bars will help.

Honestly though, if this truck was stock, which it pretty much is suspension wise, wth is a guy supposed to do if it does this while towing? So I buy this to tow with and it has axle wrap so bad I don't even want to drive it? Are the 11's and up like this?

ncollins64

Reaction score
Idk why but mine never did it really until I added a lot more power. Everyone always said bars and bags are a must and I now know why even on stock trucks.

smcox1

Reaction score
So with traction bars when you put weight behind the truck does it put them in any kind of bind as the axle is now in a different position if the truck is squatting?

Cknox121

Reaction score
Idk why but mine never did it really until I added a lot more power. Everyone always said bars and bags are a must and I now know why even on stock trucks.

My initial though was due to me have more power now. I set the mini max on stock and it was still pretty bad.

Funny it doesn't do it with a bumper pull trailer and a t-300 skid steer. Maybe the gooseneck puts more weight on the axle?

So with traction bars when you put weight behind the truck does it put them in any kind of bind as the axle is now in a different position if the truck is squatting?

To me it would preload the bars. Weight on the truck causes pinion to point upward. So a bottom mount bar (axel side) would be preloaded while towing

B.Warning

Reaction score
My 6.4 and my 6.7 had terrible axle wrap. I thought the 6.4 was due to tuning and a touchy throttle until I put a gopro under it and after watching that vid it amazed me that I didn't have pinion, ujoint, and carrier problems. It danced terribly. I built a set of bars, rize, procomp, they all stopped the axle wrap but towed like shlt. Then bought a set of OUO bars and haven't had a single driveline vibration since. They were on my 6.7 within a few weeks of buying it.

You can check ujoint by putting the truck in neutral and shake the driveshaft. Same with the carrier bearing. It will have movement tho due to being rubber.

Cknox121

Reaction score
My 6.4 and my 6.7 had terrible axle wrap. I thought the 6.4 was due to tuning and a touchy throttle until I put a gopro under it and after watching that vid it amazed me that I didn't have pinion, ujoint, and carrier problems. It danced terribly. I built a set of bars, rize, procomp, they all stopped the axle wrap but towed like shlt. Then bought a set of OUO bars and haven't had a single driveline vibration since. They were on my 6.7 within a few weeks of buying it.

You can check ujoint by putting the truck in neutral and shake the driveshaft. Same with the carrier bearing. It will have movement tho due to being rubber.

OUO's ordered :evil

RedRice589

Reaction score
Same thing mine does... So wtf do people who tow heavy do with a stock truck?? Like damn... I didn't think it would be that noticeable.

I'd post pics but on 250s it hits the bumpstops. Mine made it 48 hrs before it hit the bumpstops without even loading the horses on.

That's good to hear! I am thinking that the bars will help.

Honestly though, if this truck was stock, which it pretty much is suspension wise, wth is a guy supposed to do if it does this while towing? So I buy this to tow with and it has axle wrap so bad I don't even want to drive it? Are the 11's and up like this?

Less power so less compression of suspension and less torque. Mine was terrible.

Ran flight fabs for 60k with no issue and I don't tow light and I'm too lazy to go back through pics and post them.

Atta boy. You won't be disappointed.

Unless you cut your finger in the hour it takes to unwrap the damn things. LOL

I'll probably nut up for a set of OUOs this go round... See what the hype is about.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Mine will bind the u-joint if I haul without my bars on. It sucks hauling without them. Once you get them installed its night and day. Plus your tranny will shift more consistant.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
my 6.7 is horrible! i either take off super slow or i pin it to win it.. anything inbetween and it will rattle your teeth.

live life full throttle

Members online

No members online now.