Towing Heavy with 6.0L Questions

rowekmr

Reaction score
I towed moderate loads with my Excursion and now am towing heavier loads with a work 2015 F250 6.7L (up to 14K) and now am considering a DRW with 6.0L to tow loads from 9K-14K and possibly up to 23K if I get into car hauling and am wondering how feasible is this? What mods are suggested for heavy towing? How does the drivetrain handle it?

Thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Just keep it basic man. No after market high horse injectors, toss on a powermaxx turbo, conservative tunes, etc.

With towing you want reliability also, so IMO, things like fuel pumps and injectors should be left to factory. Nothing could possibly frustrate you more than being on the side of the road thanks to one of dem der fancy high dollar fuel pumps... I've seen it time and time again with those things.

Included in basics are of course EGR delete and the head studs. You've been here before so this should be of no surprise. Factory gaskets, a good prep job, and a good fire ringed head, preferably built off a OEM casting not a cheap Chinese one. The only issue I and other shops that I keep in my network have issues with is keeping oil temp in spec with a heavy load. This is where they have actually recommend the external oil cooler kits, mainly from BPD. I myself have installed 3 of these kits, but without having gone the distance I cannot say how well they perform, but in theory it seems great. You just have to watch the routing of the hoses. I have had one break down on the highway due to a rub through on an oil feed line. Whoever installed it, clearly was not routing the lines properly.

The drive line in these are damn near trouble free. I have put many tuners in very high mileage trucks with factory Trans and they still take the beating

swinky

Reaction score
Coolant filter, elc, a scangauge would be great.

I lost an icp sensor a couple weeks ago and bought a sensor from O'Reilly. Lifetime warranty!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No ty on cheapo parts stores ICP sensors... Chased my tail a few times cause I was told it was a 'new' the sensor... Yea, crap. Rather buy one OEM and it'll last you as long if not longer than one that came with truck

swinky

Reaction score
No ty on cheapo parts stores ICP sensors... Chased my tail a few times cause I was told it was a 'new' the sensor... Yea, crap. Rather buy one OEM and it'll last you as long if not longer than one that came with truck
My sensor is made in America not sure if it's the same ones you had.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yeah, I'm out on parts store sensors...

there are a few things I'll buy, like 6.0 fan clutches... they're the exact same manufacturer that Ford buys from.

If you can prove to me that it's the same or actually better? I'm in... otherwise, my theory is:

The reason it comes with a lifetime warranty is because YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IT!!!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
My sensor is made in America not sure if it's the same ones you had.

Unfortunately, this holds no weight in this day and age...

Average American worker-does his job just well enough to not get fired... Pride in work, very few and far??? Let's not start this here...

swinky

Reaction score
I don't have much time on mine yet but it's been fine. With the non vgt and up pipes I can get my sensor out from the top in 5 minutes. If it craps out I'll unplug it and go to the closest O'Reillys and swap it in the parking lot.

Members online

No members online now.