fuel bowl delete...

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Ok so its kinda pisses me off that elite charges 700 for there delete so I have been doing a lot of research... Okay so the main supply line is reg ol 1/2 fuel line.. so from there I can adapt to AN fittings and house to a reguator... The other lines past the filter are 3/8s which also can be adated to AN fittings... The max pressure that the system will see is 10psi which is set by my airdog... Now.. why wouldn't this work.. you can keep the factory fuel check valave from the heads and ditch most of the banjo fittings ... I guess I might be crazy let me know what you think.... Thanks

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I found a way to bypass the banjo fittings... Now should I keep the fuel cooler or ditch it?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok so its kinda pisses me off that elite charges 700 for there delete so I have been doing a lot of research... Okay so the main supply line is reg ol 1/2 fuel line.. so from there I can adapt to AN fittings and house to a reguator... The other lines past the filter are 3/8s which also can be adated to AN fittings... The max pressure that the system will see is 10psi which is set by my airdog... Now.. why wouldn't this work.. you can keep the factory fuel check valave from the heads and ditch most of the banjo fittings ... I guess I might be crazy let me know what you think.... Thanks

im not sure why you would be pissed really, you're paying elite for all the parts, fittings and design, as well as profit. lots of times those prices motivate people such as yourself to figure out another way. theres many ways to skin a cat, hopefully you find a better cheaper way, but you dont HAVE to turn a profit on stuff like this, elite does. good luck!!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
if you cant buy it, build it, if you cant build it, wait till you can pay for it... i have said that about.....mmmmm 1000 times i bet.

I dont have a fuel cooler

oneturboforme

Reaction score
im not sure why you would be pissed really, you're paying elite for all the parts, fittings and design, as well as profit. lots of times those prices motivate people such as yourself to figure out another way. theres many ways to skin a cat, hopefully you find a better cheaper way, but you dont HAVE to turn a profit on stuff like this, elite does. good luck!!

Sorry I was a little heated when i posted that.... Elite does some very quality work and im sure there trying to recoup from the R&D that took to make this product.. besides that.. so some say keep the cooler.. others say dont... I do see how cooler fuel is more dense however... Seeing that you dont hqve a fuel cooler.. do you have elites kit or do you have different kit? Thanks

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have a mostly stock fuel system that i modified

The fuel cooler cools return fuel, not supply fuel

The fuel cooler, coolant pump, doesnt even kick on till 160 degrees INLET fuel temp

If you tow alot with under a 1/4 tank of fuel, i could see needing it.

Last edited:

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I have a mostly stock fuel system that i modified

The fuel cooler cools return fuel not supply fuel

The fuel cooler, coolant pump, doesnt even kick on till 160 degrees INLET fuel temp

If you tow alot with under a 1/4 tank of fuel, i could see needing it.

Yes i know about the cooler only cooling the excess unused fuel and not the supply... Wow I didnt know it only kicked on at 160... Thats high... I can only see it being used when idling on a hot day... When I'm towing I imagine most of the fuel is supply and very little will be excess

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you would be suprised...

In some cases PCV and VCV are higher percents at idle than going down the road... meaning the pump is by-passing more fuel going down the road than an idle, also making pressure makes heat, so at idle only making 5800 lbs of rail pressure, compared to 13-17k going down the road, thats where the heats at.

fwiw caterpillar says that power isnt effected by fuel temperature untill the fuel temps reach 250 degrees, once they get that hot, the power loss is exponential for every 10 degrees over 250

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Better yet... What about keeping it.. upgrading the pump to run constantly and put and eletric fan on it?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i edited my above post...

Probably a reason it doesnt turn on untill 160, but i would also imagine that cooler fuel means more HP

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Looks like its bypass the fuel cooler and put and temp gauge in line and see how hot it gets...thanks this has helped a bunch

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you can read inlet fuel temps with most programmers, i havent hooked mine up to see but i never watched it before, probably a good idea to monitor fuel temps before so you have a baseline for after, i dont tow, so i dont care.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If it only cools the return fuel what benefit is there to ditching it? I would just leave it be.

if the return fuel is hot, and makes the fuel in the tank hot, then it makes the supply fuel hot, like i said under a 1/4 tank of fuel is where i could see some high fuel temps.

I got rid of mine because it was much easier to run piping

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i'd like to ditch mine.... i hate that extra crap and plumbing under my hood.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Another thought to ponder... Since the fuel bowl isn't there, there isnt a quart of fuel thats getting heated, just the intake fuel.. so the heat cycle wouldnt be so bad.. and id like to get rid of it to clean my motor up a little

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Another thought to ponder... Since the fuel bowl isn't there, there isnt a quart of fuel thats getting heated, just the intake fuel.. so the heat cycle wouldnt be so bad.. and id like to get rid of it to clean my motor up a little

Just to clarify I meant in removing the cooler not the bowl. I plan on deleting the fuel bowl on mine as well.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i dont have a bowl either... i highly doubt that is a major contributing factor though. i'd love to get rid of the cooler and the resevoir. convince me dustin.

Latest posts

Members online