Rear tank leak.

psdguy95

Reaction score
My rear tank started to leak about 2 months ago. So I dropped it and i couldn't tell where it was coming from. I replaced the fuel lines that come off the tank and put it back up. Fired it up and it was still leaking. I dropped it again today and still could't find where it was coming from. I'm ordering a new oring seal for the sender to see if thats the cause. Does anyone know where these tanks are comon to leak or am i on the right track? The tank looks almost new so i know its not that. I seems to come from the top of the tank somewhere though. I'm just tired of leaving puddles of fuel all over my driveway.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Pulling the bed is MUCH easier.

I would bet you have a small hole in the bottom of the tank. The rear tanks in the OBS' are notorious for rubbing a hole in the bottom.

psdguy95

Reaction score
It doesn't leak when its not running. I forgot to say that. Im just getting really frustrated with it. I had it out and running today and it was fine. Put it back in and filled it op and it started to leak again. How do the beds come off on these trucks? All the bolt heads are rhino lined over in my bed.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
The beds come off by taking the bed bolts out, unplugging the tail light wiring harness, and unbolting the filler necks.

If your bed bolts are Rhino Lined over, you will have to cut them out. You should do this anyway as taking the bed off makes doing things under there a lot easier.

It might be a rubber hose that goes from the tank to the hard fuel line has a leak in it.

psdguy95

Reaction score
I hope its just the oring. If the tank is done im deleteing it. Looks like ill be searching for those bolts. LOL

mjonesjr

Reaction score
You wont have to buy the bolts.

If it is the o-ring, get an o-ring and lock ring from the dealership. My o-ring leaked after I replaced the tank and used an aftermarket o-ring and lock ring. When I got the factory o-ring and lock ring and compared it to the aftermarket o-ring, the aftermarket was a shade smaller. After the factory o-ring and lock ring was installed, I didn't have a problem with a leak.

With the way the tanks are designed (to have positive pressure all the time), I don't see how your leak is only when the truck is running. You should be leaking until the fuel level gets below the leak point if it is something on/in the tank. If it was a fuel line, it would leak till the tank was empty.

psdguy95

Reaction score
You wont have to buy the bolts.

If it is the o-ring, get an o-ring and lock ring from the dealership. My o-ring leaked after I replaced the tank and used an aftermarket o-ring and lock ring. When I got the factory o-ring and lock ring and compared it to the aftermarket o-ring, the aftermarket was a shade smaller. After the factory o-ring and lock ring was installed, I didn't have a problem with a leak.

With the way the tanks are designed (to have positive pressure all the time), I don't see how your leak is only when the truck is running. You should be leaking until the fuel level gets below the leak point if it is something on/in the tank. If it was a fuel line, it would leak till the tank was empty.

I ment find them hidden in the bed liner. I'm getting mine from the dealer as well. That what i can't figure out. I don't believe its the fuel lines leaking anymore because i fixed them. I think its that o ring now. It didn't look to good when i had it out.

psdguy95

Reaction score
You said the tank has positive pressure all the time. What kind of pressure are we talking? I think since it's pressurized it's getting past the seal when running.

Members online

No members online now.