Tow/Haul mode

Pockets

Reaction score
At what point do you guys and gals start putting your truck in tow mode? Me and my step dad were just talking about this. He says with any weight he'll use tow mode. I had my 6x12 hooked this morning and he thought I was crazy for not using it. I told him if I needed it with that size trailer, I should use it when he rides with me too... then I was called a smartass. Lol....

DWhite

Reaction score
I only use tow haul to help slow down or sometimes when taking off. Other than that it is off. I will sometimes use it to drop a gear if I'm climbing a steep hill and my egts are rising fast. Most of the time I don't use it when I tow 15-18k.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It keeps the truck from slipping into gears two numbers higher than it should be when towing. Its to make it easier to drive. Nothing else.

I use it even when the enclosed trailer is empty.

B.Warning

Reaction score
I use it anytime I'm hooked to my gn. But I'm also grossing 30k lbs on a light load. On my 6.7 it works wonders for downshifting and keeps it from downshifting at every hill.

Pockets

Reaction score
This was my "heavy load" in question. Lol.... I told my step dad he's crazy.
941af7989603a4b124bae7d5e59255d1.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oh i thought you meant you were towing something. My enclosed trailer is 8' clear in the inside. "Empty" its 8k. Usually about 14k of trailer weight.

I just really appreciate how intuitive the controls are in tow mode. No matting the pedal for a hill. No brake srands to go down it. No mismatched rpms vs speed scenarios while towing, ie, trucks in road gear at 40 mph. Going 40 and need to move out its alreadyin the correct gear for the powerband.

Unbeatable imo. How my "tow" tune is setup for my 7.3 with php tuning. It mimics the same cintrol veeeery closely.

Pockets

Reaction score
That's what I'm sayin... it didn't feel any different than if I was just driving the truck. Haha... so that's why I was asking at what point yall start using it. I know I didn't need it.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
I seem to go use tow/haul on my 7.3 if I'm towing a load that I like having brakes on the trailer with. Our 24' gn is ~4200 empty and I don't use it but put it on as soon as I load up. Typically don't use it for empty trailers or nearly empty.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I seem to go use tow/haul on my 7.3 if I'm towing a load that I like having brakes on the trailer with. Our 24' gn is ~4200 empty and I don't use it but put it on as soon as I load up. Typically don't use it for empty trailers or nearly empty.

7.3's don't have T/H they only have a O/D off button.

Since I have a single on my 6.4 I have to ride with it on all day help keeps the shift extended enough to stay in boost.

Towing wise I keep it on every time I got a trailer behind me helps on braking etc.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
7.3's don't have T/H they only have a O/D off button.

Since I have a single on my 6.4 I have to ride with it on all day help keeps the shift extended enough to stay in boost.

Towing wise I keep it on every time I got a trailer behind me helps on braking etc.

This is true, I apologize for my improper use of terminology.:doh:

jcain

Reaction score
Use it when you feel you need to. You'll want it when the truck falls out of the powerband at every shift. 2011-2014 trucks don't really suffer from that with the stock turbo because that little gal lites easy

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I'd get some updated tunes :eek:

It is i'm on reversion #4 I like how it drives its getting better every reversion, drives a heck of a lot better with GH then it did with PIP.

I don't know what else needs to be changed though I know I need more fuel on the bottom end because from a boost launch it bogs/dies if I boost up to 5-10 need MOAR fuelz LOL.

Sorry for the derail.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I use it any time I'm towing in the hills, or if EGTs get too high.

I also use it in the winter (in 4x4) to slow down going down hill when it's icy out.

Ford_Fan1

Reaction score
I hate tow/haul- the only time that I ever use tow/haul is when climbing a grade with at least 10k in tow or when I need to slow down but never when accelerating. I hate the way that it slams it into every gear and how the truck has to be rodded at over 3k to shift.

diesel2121

Reaction score
I use it 8000 lbs or more I wouldn't think you would need it for that load or lack of .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

jimmystoys

Reaction score
I do use the tow/haul mode at times. Only thing I don't like is on mild downhill travels it doesn't seem to want to upshift quick enough, even when I'm accelerating. You'd think it would know its time to upshift. It screams to 3000- 3500ish rpms before it upshifts. Doesn't happen all the time. Don't know if this is normal.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
From the perspective of one that helped develop tow/haul at Ford, use it when you like how it's working and turn it off if you don't like it. The truck was designed to be fine either way, it's purely driver preference.