Bilstein shocks, just do it

Killer Instincts

Reaction score
Seen this come up before, so in case you're wondering what shocks to replace your stockers with, I cannot possibly recommend Bilsteins enough. My X had the originals on it when I bought it (108k) so they needed to go. Got all four plus the steering damper off amazon prime, and damn, well worth the $400 or so in parts. Did the installation myself, simple as hell if you have a jack and basic hand tools.

Also just did new ball joints and axle u-joints. Rides and drives like a brand new vehicle, even with kevlar Goodyear 285s on it. The more I drive this truck, the more I love it.

Jomax

Reaction score
Seen this come up before, so in case you're wondering what shocks to replace your stockers with, I cannot possibly recommend Bilsteins enough. My X had the originals on it when I bought it (108k) so they needed to go. Got all four plus the steering damper off amazon prime, and damn, well worth the $400 or so in parts. Did the installation myself, simple as hell if you have a jack and basic hand tools.

Also just did new ball joints and axle u-joints. Rides and drives like a brand new vehicle, even with kevlar Goodyear 285s on it. The more I drive this truck, the more I love it.

Which bilsteins yellow or silver?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Well, if I may step up to the plate?

After about 6 months of driving the '11 PSD, I ditched my half-ass factory Rancho shocks for a complete set of 5100 Bilstein shocks. I looked online and read almost every review on BILSTEIN, and that may be where I went wrong. Don't get me wrong, the shocks have not let me down and they were a true night and day difference over the absolutely unacceptable Rancho shock setup, but in the end I didn't consider all of my options at the time.

Bilstein shocks were the only shocks I looked into and I may have screwed myself into essentially buying a shock setup twice. In addition to my Bilstein order, I also got a Pro Comp Pro Runner dual-steering stabilizer setup; again, I should have looked into other options there as well. The fact of the matter is that when I ordered the damn Bilsteins it took over 3 months just to get them. The vendor constantly had no idea where they were, had next to no contact with Bilstein, and did not know when they would be shipped out to me. Apparently, Bilstein wasn't producing enough to keep up with the demand and they were also building a new plant somewhere else in the States. Fast forward about 2.5 months- the shocks finally came and they were impressive in their out-of-box configuration. Once installed, I noticed a huge difference IMMEDIATELY! I really couldn't imagine them being tuned/valved by another company because they were just so smooth and comfortable in their current form.

Now I find myself getting the truck ready for a complete Carli leveling kit/upgrade. The Bilsteins are still great performers on my truck but when I finally ordered the leveling system it was supposed to come with tuned Bilstein shocks, no longer the case. A call to Carli and I learned briefly that they (Carli) have dropped the manufacturer and gone exclusively over to the Fox 2.0line. Shocked (no pun intended) by this I went to look at other vendors across the internet - low and behold, everyone pretty much is dropping Bilstein across the board! Rave reviews apparently have been pointing new and repeat business in the direction of Fox shocks over Bilstein it seems.

In closing, I still have the 5100's on the truck now and once they come off I will hold on to them. They did me right and I only have a mere 10k on them, so why throw them out? I have no experience with the Fox line so this will be an added measure in case I happen to "like the 5100 more" and sell the Fox 2.0 res shocks. Although that sounds real crazy, I have yet to experience the brand. The fact of the matter is that this transition to Fox with every former Bilstein vendor is worth having a look into...

Last edited:

Killer Instincts

Reaction score
Jomax, they are the yellow ones.

CMCx2012, that sounds like a pain in the ass. Mine came via Amazon Prime and showed up two days later.

The Fox shocks do seem to be well rated, no experience there.

bordo380

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and a new Excursion owner. I'm looking to go the Amazon Bilstein route.
Killer Instincts... We're the ones you purchased the yellow and blue ones? I found those on Amazon but was originally going to get the 5100's. Does anyone know the difference?

Thanks a ton for the post.
I love this rig. My first Diesel. I've wanted one for a long time.
2001 w/7.3.

81f48f1f4228111eda2f47253d4fd8d6.jpg

griz700rocket

Reaction score
I used the 5100 on all my rides. Been very happy with them. I think the blue/yellow are a softer ride but don't last as long or hold up to abuse like the 5100s do.

bordo380

Reaction score
Well I broke down and got rancho 9000xls. I liked the option to adjust them. I keep the rear soft for around town and stiff for towing. They aren't built as nice as a Bilstein that I can tell but perform great so far.

I still really need to get a rear anti sway bar.

hermantile

Reaction score
Some part numbers would be really helpful. I'm interested in Bilstein 5100s. But they don't list on for the rears on a stock ride height X. Is the optimal setup 5100 front & 4600 rear?

Or are Fox Shocks the new go to?

Last edited:

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I can't speak for Fox shocks, but from what I hear everyone loves them. I'm running the Bilsteins and think the shocks are perfect for what I need it for. PM me if you're interested in some replacement shocks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.