DT engines in OBS trucks

mustube

Reaction score
I've seen a few dt466s in obs sled pulling trucks so it's been done and they are out there. I haven't read any build threads on one though. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about an excursion with a dt360 swap though.

02BigD

Reaction score
Carson Stauffer makes the parts to mate a 360 up to a 4R and has swapped at least 1 into a SD. Truck ran good, I had the opportunity to tool around in it a bit before the owner took delivery of it. Don't recall what hp they were shooting for, it was a single turbo.

02strokin

Reaction score
Carson Stauffer makes the parts to mate a 360 up to a 4R and has swapped at least 1 into a SD. Truck ran good, I had the opportunity to tool around in it a bit before the owner took delivery of it. Don't recall what hp they were shooting for, it was a single turbo.

Wonder how similar to that 12 valve it is power an torque wise??

Fosterchild23

Reaction score
Vancouver Island B.C. / Grande Prairie, Alberta

I'm assuming you mean a 4R110 from a 6.0L? Do you know of or have any recomendations for 5 or 6 speeds that will bolt up to a 360 with relative ease that will also fit under an OBS?

02BigD

Reaction score
4R100 from a 7.3L

The dt360 has a sae bolt pattern, many transmissions from zf, spicer, eaton fuller, or Allison that came on medium duty trucks will mate. The issue becomes the size of the transmission that causes other obstacles.

02BigD

Reaction score
Having put 6 figure miles on both a spicer and eaton 6 speed in a medium duty IH. Eaton was heads and tails better than the spicer. My .02

Fosterchild23

Reaction score
Well I don't think I'd have a hard time finding an eaton 6 speed that will bolt to a 360 then I'm guessing my biggest issue would be fitment under the truck it's self. I'm going to assume most of the medium duty transmissions out there were originally for 2wd service so I'd have to get a custom built output shaft and run a divorced transfer case and custom length driveshafts..

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
This is my dream swap (dta360), except in a super duty and compounds. There was a guy that swapped one with a Eaton I think into a SD (450?). It obviously was a divorced transfer case. OBS will need firewall modification I would think.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have an 05 F-450 that I bought recently that I am hoping to put a dt360 with a 6 speed Eaton in it. Just 2wd so no issues with transfer case.

P-pump conversion and twin turbos and it should pull like a champ.

Fosterchild23

Reaction score
This is my dream swap (dta360), except in a super duty and compounds. There was a guy that swapped one with a Eaton I think into a SD (450?). It obviously was a divorced transfer case. OBS will need firewall modification I would think.

You're probably right about a firewall mod, the 360 measured 45.1" from water pump to bell housing apparently. Comparibly speaking a 5.9 Cummins measures 40" in length.. And I'm not sure how much room that left to play with for anyone that did an OBS Cummins.

Latest posts

Members online