38x15 on a 6" lift?

apollyon9515

Reaction score
So i got a 6" spring lift off a member a while back and havent gotten it installed yet due to recovering from a accident. Today as i was doing my daily CL search i found a set of used 38x15x18 wheel/tires combo for a heck of a deal.

So is their a chance in hell i can fit a 38x15 on a 6" spring lift?
I originally wanted a 35-37x 13" tire, but i found these for a hell of a deal. Wondering if they would fit as is or maybe put a lvl kit along with the spring lift to fit them for the time being.

Any ideas, insight or pics would be welcomed.

Thanks

TyCorr

Reaction score
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/titobandito78/truck stuff/superd3.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/titobandito78/truck stuff/superd1.jpg

Here ya go buddy!! These are 40x15.50 MT baja belted's. I dont have any pictures of my truck with 38's. Ive ran 35's all the way to 40's on this six inch lift. Little rubbing during turning depending on position of the suspension. I ran 38x15.5 swampers and also a 36x14.5 swamper. The 36's were on 18's. The 40's you see in the pic and 38's were on the 16's in the pics I posted. My current tires 325/80 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws are on the same 16" wheels.

Like this:
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/titobandito78/truck stuff/bbtty2.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
JUST CUT SOME SHEETMETAL AND BUMPERS FTW...I've got 39.5s on an 8 inch lift

Those first two pics I posted are 40's on a 6". I trimmed the front corner of the bumper/air dam and I didnt trim the fenders because the 38" boggers already 'clearanced' the fender LOL

what do they look like on an 8"?

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
I had 38x15.5x20 on 20x10 wheels with a 6" lift. I had to trim the bumper and it rubbed a little on the inner fender. It was drivable, but not ideal IMO. Was on late 99 CCSB.

apollyon9515

Reaction score
Im thinking im going to do this.
Ill install my lift and try it out with the wheel/tire combo and if it doesnt fit ill throw a spring pack on the front for the time being. I figure for the 1k ill pay for the tires itll be worth it vs spending 1500 new. My main concern was just the rubbing.

Next question, will my truck be ok for driving and some towing with 3.73 and 38s? Got stage 2s and tunes by bean.

Thanks guys

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im thinking im going to do this.
Ill install my lift and try it out with the wheel/tire combo and if it doesnt fit ill throw a spring pack on the front for the time being. I figure for the 1k ill pay for the tires itll be worth it vs spending 1500 new. My main concern was just the rubbing.

Next question, will my truck be ok for driving and some towing with 3.73 and 38s? Got stage 2s and tunes by bean.

Thanks guys

You arent getting a set of 38's for 1500 dollars new. The tires in the last pic I posted were bought in 2010 for 1600. They've gone up 45/tire since then. 35x13.5 procomps are around 500 a piece which is my next set. A grand for used tires, unless they are lightly used, is a risky deal. Kinda like people selling novakanes or something that want 300+/wheel! Aint gonna happen!

To answer your original question, they'll fit definitely. Turning is where the adverse affects may show up.

Good luck bud!

Biggreen96

Reaction score
As far as towing goes your going to be hurting. Those 38 are going to knock your ratio down alot. You can get away with it but mileage is going to suck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I towed alot on 38s.......with 4.56s...

He is asking about 38's and 3.73 gears though.

I think his answer gives his opinion on whether the 3.73's are any good for towing with tires that size.

If I planned to tow ALOT I wouldnt run a 6" or bigger lift, nor would I run the biggest tires that would fit in the wheelwell. If you have tons of power and have exceptional cooling for your air, fuel, trans, and engine then you can tow at fairly high power levels. If $$ is an issue in buying a lift or tires then you cant afford to break crap towing with a lifted truck with oversize tires and a stock drivetrain.

Here's a few exceptions where a lifted truck is a virtue. One being if you tow EVERYDAY and you tow a big gooseneck the 6" lifted truck will fit perfectly under the ball. For maneuverability Id stick with a 35 or 37x13.5, with the width being the limitation. Lose too much maneuverability with big wide tires. Also, if you tow into offroad terrain the lift and offoad tires are nice. I bought my truck for a daily driver and to "Pull occasionally". I put a 6" lift and 36's on it right off. Then I stopped working my normal job and went to fulltime firewood chaser and supplier. The trailer rarely got unhooked. I bought a car to drive just because the truck was married to the trailer. I pulled a dual axle 20' goosey with a skidloader and other equipment for moving/cutting trees. In hindsight, I think some 4.30's would have been good for performance.

If your idea of towing is 75mph with 20k on a trailer then I wouldnt run 38's on a 6" lift with 3.73.

Id run a 4" or leveled truck and 35's and depending on operating power levels maybe change gears to 4.10s.

apollyon9515

Reaction score
I dont plan to tow heavy or very often. It has a dual axle trailer weighing about 3-4k loaded about 1-2 times a month in the summer(lawn mower) and randomly ill tow something else, Odds are i wont pull more than 5-6k but once or twice a year for a short distance. I know the gears wont be perfect for performance or towing, but i generally drive my truck 3-4k miles a year so im hoping ill get by.

I didnt want to get tires this big, but for a set of 70~ MTZs and wheels for 1k its gonna be hard to pass up. The wife(of 1 week) doesnt even want me spending 1k on them now haha. Still waiting to hear back from the guy, but if i can get them for 1k or less im gonna pull the trigger....

Thanks for the info guys.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
You should be alright. I tow with 38" tires and 3.73 gears no problem. Obviously its a little more strain the heavier you go but should be ok. As for the lift, you can always get the spring pack or hanger/shackle for the front if you need it. And add-a-leaf or taller block for the rear

Latest posts

Members online