Bronco fuel tank ?'s

davey99ps

Reaction score
I'm in the process of gathering parts for my e-fuel set-up. I'd like to get rid of the dual tanks an just go down to 1 tank to make this project easier. I remember reading about guys swapping bronco tanks in. What years are you getting these out of, an how many gal. do they hold?

davey99ps

Reaction score
Thanks chase, was it a direct bolt in? Did you have to do anything special to the sending unit? I'm assuming you used the bronco sending unit?

not enoughsmoke

Reaction score
Thanks chase, was it a direct bolt in? Did you have to do anything special to the sending unit? I'm assuming you used the bronco sending unit?

Mine is not the bronco tank. Mine is a extra capacity tank that replaces ur rear 19 gallon you have to modify the sending unit but i welded a bung in the bottom of my tank for fuel supply here a pic of it
IMG_20110318_185119.jpg

IMG_20110318_185139.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I don't see how going to 1 tank will make the e-fuel swap easier. If you replace the outside top (nearest the frame rail) line from the selector valve to you pre-filter, then you can still use both tanks. You can remove the factory fitting and reuse it as it is just clamped into the factory hose.

davey99ps

Reaction score
I don't see how going to 1 tank will make the e-fuel swap easier. If you replace the outside top (nearest the frame rail) line from the selector valve to you pre-filter, then you can still use both tanks. You can remove the factory fitting and reuse it as it is just clamped into the factory hose.

Well right now the fuel gauge doesn't work on my front tank, so I haven't been using it anyways. So I figured I'd delete the front tank an selector valve, run a larger rear tank (which not enoughsmoke helped me source) with a sump. That'll go to my pre-filter, up to a walbro or aeromotive pump (i haven't decided which yet) then through a stock SD pump (just for back up in case other pump fails) then to my post filter an up to the motor. Maybe its not the best set-up, but it seemed like a good plan to me.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
You dont want to run the pumps in series run them parallel. And use check valves so the pumps dont back feed through one another should one go out.

davey99ps

Reaction score
You dont want to run the pumps in series run them parallel. And use check valves so the pumps dont back feed through one another should one go out.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by parallel? Thanks for any help, also what to you guys recommend for a pump? I already have my filter bases, an I should have my reg. return very soon. I'm still collecting all the peices I need. I need something that's reliable, yet supplies enough pressure

mjonesjr

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by parallel? Thanks for any help, also what to you guys recommend for a pump? I already have my filter bases, an I should have my reg. return very soon. I'm still collecting all the peices I need. I need something that's reliable, yet supplies enough pressure
You want the supply line to "Y" into both pumps. Then the discharge from the pumps to "Y" back into the engine supply line.

Parallel means they draw and supply the from/to the same.

Series means one pump pumps to another then the second boost the pressure even more and pumps to where ever it is going. This is NOT what you want.

I recommend the stock 7.3 Super Duty electric pump. You will only need 1 to supply up to stage 1's. You can supply larger injectors with just 1 pump IF you have the proper tuning.

davey99ps

Reaction score
You want the supply line to "Y" into both pumps. Then the discharge from the pumps to "Y" back into the engine supply line.

Parallel means they draw and supply the from/to the same.

Series means one pump pumps to another then the second boost the pressure even more and pumps to where ever it is going. This is NOT what you want.

I recommend the stock 7.3 Super Duty electric pump. You will only need 1 to supply up to stage 1's. You can supply larger injectors with just 1 pump IF you have the proper tuning.

Ah, makes sense. I'm running 238/100s, so I'm not really sure the best route to go. I've heard people having reliability issues with the performance pumps, thats why I thought id have a stock pump plumbed in there somewhere if I go with a performance pump just so i don't end up stranded on the side of the road. What do you guys think is a good set-up considering I'll be at or over 500hp next month. Also, where are you guys getting your performance pumps from?

Biggreen96

Reaction score
Either walbro pumps which ive heard good and bad about or stock pumps that way if one needs to be replace you can find relatively any parts store. I got my pumps off ebay for 100 a piece.

Smokyred

Reaction score
I'm running just a plastic Bronco tank in the rear feeding a Fuelab. If you're going to run a big pump or two small pumps you need to lose the factory fuel pickup and lines. Everything in the system must be upsized or you'll eventually kill the pump due to restriction.

Pumps like the Aero or Fuelab need a 5/8" minimum supply line, and a 1/2" feed to the motor.

Any questions on how to build a comp-style fuel system feel free to ask.

Dave

davey99ps

Reaction score
I already have the 38gal tank, an I planned on getting rid of all the factory junk. I'm still undecided on which pump or pumps an I have to do a lil more research on how I'm building my reg return, otherwise I have a pretty good grasp on everything else I think

davey99ps

Reaction score
I'm running just a plastic Bronco tank in the rear feeding a Fuelab. If you're going to run a big pump or two small pumps you need to lose the factory fuel pickup and lines. Everything in the system must be upsized or you'll eventually kill the pump due to restriction.

Pumps like the Aero or Fuelab need a 5/8" minimum supply line, and a 1/2" feed to the motor.

Any questions on how to build a comp-style fuel system feel free to ask.

Dave
I'll prolly pm you this weekend to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind

Members online

No members online now.