truck threw a code tonight. Moving tmrw need help

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Hey guys I was hauling my buddys 30 foot enclosed trailer empty about 40 miles from his house to mine tonight so I can load it because I am moving tommarrow.

About 5 miles from home the truck (my 05 in my sig) threw the orange wrench on the dash. I pulled in to a parking lot and scanned with my sct. P012f came up which is a difference between eot and ect of more thann 12-14 degrees for a sustained time.

And of course my father has had my scangauge in his truck for about 7 months now because he has been hauling the his camper a lot and I let him borrow it. Well I dataloged eot and ect with my sct and ect hovered around 176* while eot was around 195*.

My first thought was 176* is way too low for ect. Would a bad thermostat cause these symptoms or possibly a bad ect sensor? The truck had a new oil cooler put in when the studs went in around 70k. The truck currently has 101xxx miles.

Thanks ahead of time for the help guys I really need to figure this out because I am moving to new hampshire tmrw to start a new job on Monday. And sorry for the long winded post.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Also the truck did not puke and coolant level is normal and without contamination. Sorry for the scatterbrained posts guys have a lot on my mind with moving and now this.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Is there a test port I can put a coolant temp gauge in I have one sitting here. That way I can verify the ect the computer is reading is correct?

G Racing

Reaction score
I would say, remove the brass nipple that is in the intake manifold between the alternator and the oil filter housing. It's the black rubber hose that goes to the coolant tank. You should be able to remove it fairly easy and as long as your fitting will thread into it.

G Racing

Reaction score
Or you could get an extra piece of hose get a tee fitting that will fit your sensor, put two barbed hose fittings on it. Remove the stock black hose and replace with the new one. It might be a few degrees off but should work

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I took the truck for a ride this morning and waited for the temps to stabilize and then shot the tstat housing and oil pan with my infared thermometer. They were both close to what the computer was saying. I'm going to put a thermostat in and see whag happens

Dalpilot

Reaction score
When pulling you will easily see a temperature difference of 20 degrees or more periodically. Mine has hundreds of times and I have a coolant filter. The temperature difference to worry about is a sustained continuous disparity between the eot and the ect. Also remember, the temp sensors Ford uses were supplied by the lowest bidder.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you'll be fine. If it starts getting real crazy then pull over and let it cool down and assess it then.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Limped it up to nh. Its needs a new oil cooler though. Unloaded temps are within 8* but pullling the trailer they were way apart.

Dalpilot

Reaction score
I am telling you its normal to see a larger temperature difference when towing. Your using more power and it will heat up faster that way.

Latest posts

Members online